problems taking apart door panel to install new speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problems taking apart door panel to install new speakers

hi, i dont kno if i should put this in the interior or car audio section but since i am installing a new speaker..i'll put this here.

i am currently taking apart the front door panels of my 2003 protege and i have used the search tool to find related threads but i couldn't find one specific enough so i'll start a new thread.

i hav taken off all the hidden screws and unclipped all the clips, but do i need to take out the door handle? how about the thing that winds up/down the window?(i dont have power windows) it's still stuck..and i dont want to yank on it too hard..i dont want to break anything.

oh yeah.. the speaker sizes for the front.. i searched for this too and found the sizes to be 6x8"/5x7" wat does that mean? i thought it could only fit 5x7". can i put in 6 inch speakers?

please help this helpless newbie here..haha thanx

and sorry about not capitalizing and punctuating properly.
    Last edited by eggdaaznboi; 10-31-2004, 01:01 AM.

yes you need to take off the door handles. there should be one screw holding each one on. after the door panel is free, you can pull the door panel away, and angle the door handle through the opening for it, so you don't have to remove it from the rod that it's connected to.

for the window cranks, there are tools for removing those, but i'd be willing to bet someone with a 1st or 2nd gen protege will know how to remove them without the tool. if not, stop by a stereo shop and see if they'll pop off the crank for you.

for the speakers, 5x7/6x8's are the stock size, but 5.25 and 6.5" speakers work fine, with an adapter.

Comment

Post #8

Basically there is a 'horse-shoe' shaped brass clip that holds the crank on. You have to put your head next to the door panel and look down the crank to see it. Pop it off and the rest is cake. Careful not to break anything, and if you do then be prepared to make a trip to the dealer to get raped.
      The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

thanx for your help guys =D and i'll make sure i wont break anything, that would just result in pain in my heart...and wallet..

i got 6x8" pioneer 4-way front speakers and it's made to fit ford/mazdas =D so all i gotta do is cut the wire for the stock speakers and hook up the new ones. after i take off the door panel of course.

once again thanx guys

Comment

Working...
        X