Looking to switch out my 2 front speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to switch out my 2 front speakers

My current set is by CDT, i forgot which model CDT it is but i remember i got them on sale because of the messed up paint color that resulted a while back. The reason why im looking for a change is because the tweeter is too bright for my liking. with the music i listen to (punk, rock, hardcore) it seems to bring out the worse in the tweeter. I cant stand to listen to my favorite band thrice. Im looking to spend no more than $350 MAYBE $400 and im looking for a clear sound but not loud or bright at all. Id also like to get some pretty good bass cause i like to hear the bass from inside the car and less from the trunk. im running an eclipse amp that puts out 50 continueous wattage and my back ledge speakers are the boston acoustic NX's. also, what can i add to my current setup that can help out my sound? meaning, i was reading about a "line driver" before but wasnt quite sure what that deals with. just anything that i can add to my system thatll let me get more clarity would be appriciated (adjusting things, adding equipment.) im just an average joe when it comes to these things, i know somethings but not alot. thanks!

p.s. : im also pretty anal about my sound. when my sound doesnt sound right at a point (whether my ears are hearing the sound differently or the loudness of my exhaust mixes with the sound) i kinda freak out. i spend good money on a system and i want it to be perfect, so if that helps any of u guys out

did you adjust the tweeter attenuation on the CDT x-overs?

50 watts rms isn't much if your goal is more up front bass. you should invest in dampening your front doors.

go out and listen to as many different component sets as possible to find a set that meets your tweeter needs.

you could try a maxxbass 103 to give you better up front bass. they aren't cheap, though.

you don't need a line driver.

does your HU have any built in equalization? a decent parametric EQ could help your situation.

Comment

Originally posted by blue LEDz
      did you adjust the tweeter attenuation on the CDT x-overs?

50 watts rms isn't much if your goal is more up front bass. you should invest in dampening your front doors.

go out and listen to as many different component sets as possible to find a set that meets your tweeter needs.

you could try a maxxbass 103 to give you better up front bass. they aren't cheap, though.

you don't need a line driver.

does your HU have any built in equalization? a decent parametric EQ could help your situation.
      Nah, it just has presets and the treble/bass adjustments. which EQs should i be looking at? ive considered the option before but never really took it seriously. and i didnt adjust the crossovers at all, i hooked them up right out of the box, i wouldnt really know how to adjust them. i just figured since i didnt see any external adjusters that i couldnt mess with them, how would i do that? are they inside the crossover itself?

Comment

i got the same components.. i love em :D

Comment

Originally posted by dafoo21
          Nah, it just has presets and the treble/bass adjustments. which EQs should i be looking at? ive considered the option before but never really took it seriously. and i didnt adjust the crossovers at all, i hooked them up right out of the box, i wouldnt really know how to adjust them. i just figured since i didnt see any external adjusters that i couldnt mess with them, how would i do that? are they inside the crossover itself?
          oh and i found the model of the CDTs. i got the CL-61s. does anyone know if the crossover it came with is adjustable?

Comment

i know there is 2 diff spots where u can hook the tweeters up 2 .. idk what its for

Comment

Originally posted by Chad
              i know there is 2 diff spots where u can hook the tweeters up 2 .. idk what its for

if one of you can take pics of the x-over box with the cover off it, i can probably tell you all how to adjust them. there is a -3 dB, flat, and +3 dB for the tweeter.

you may also want to call about their test report promotion:

Comment

ill take a pic 2mrrw :D

Comment

with my cd components, the location of the tweeters made the most difference as far as noise.. if you set the jumper inside the cross over box to a negative value and ensure your tweeters are no more than 6 inches from your midbass driver. this will give you the adjustment you're looking for without spending more money on components you may not want, or equalizers you can't afford.
                  kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin
                    with my cd components, the location of the tweeters made the most difference as far as noise.. if you set the jumper inside the cross over box to a negative value and ensure your tweeters are no more than 6 inches from your midbass driver. this will give you the adjustment you're looking for without spending more money on components you may not want, or equalizers you can't afford.
                    kevin

ding ding ding, we have a winner

Comment

thanks alot guys. im going to just adjust the crossover today. kevin, where did u end up mounting ur tweeters? as of now, i have them on the dash right next to the door. and ur saying i should mount them on the door cause thats about as far as 6 inches will go?

Comment

when using out of the box components like you have, it's usually best to position the tweeter as close to the mid as possible, since you are not really able to adjust the x-over points and slopes like with an active x-over setup.

Comment

Working...
                        X