paint on dampener comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

paint on dampener comparison

well after almost a month i finally got both the cascade VB-1 and elemental designs v.3.0. when ED changed the name of it from xterminator to v.3.0, it didn't process all the orders for the xterminator, so that delayed my shipment. i ordered the cascade from mmx, an online site, and they shipped it out after i wrote a WTF? e-mail to them

first things first, the ED product comes in a paint can. it has a ring around the top to keep the lid from coming off. the cascade comes in a bucket, and the top is a PITA to get off, since i'm lazy. upon opening the products after shaking the hell out of them manually, the ED was very well mixed and required no stirring, but i still did. the cascade was a lot thicker in the middle, and they recomend using a stirrer on a power drill to mix it. i just grabbed a thick stick from the yard and stirred it. the ED product was a bit thinner, but i guess that is because you can paint it in with a brush, or spray it on with a gun. the cascade is paint on only, and they have a different version for spray guns. in that aspect the ED is better, since you only need one product for both jobs. the ED product is blue, while the cascade is grey. if you aren't gonna paint it or cover it, you might not want the ED. for prep work, i didn't do much. i cleaned everything with denatured alcohol and masked it off a little. the ED went on sooooo much smoother and seemed to stick better. it wasn't as clumpy either, but that could be because i didn't mix the cascade well enough. the cascade seemed to be more watery, but thicker, if that makes sense. the ED product was more sticky and thick, but thinner than the cascade. i was wearing rubber gloves, but i got both on my arms. they clean up with water very easily. each product was starting to dry pretty well by the time i was almost done with the outer and inner skins. i just threw the brushes i used out, and washed up with plain water.

i'll post tomorrow how well each worked.

now for pics.
    Attached Files

Comment

How are you going to test to see which one is a better sound dampener?

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
        How are you going to test to see which one is a better sound dampener?

did you forget about the 18 in my trunk?

Comment

Nah, how can I forget about it? I wanted to know if you have a way of "measuring" it. You know... not subjectively, but objectively..

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
            Nah, how can I forget about it? I wanted to know if you have a way of "measuring" it. You know... not subjectively, but objectively..

which ever door panel vibrates and makes noise the least a 30 hz note before would make them flex out and rattle quite a bit

Comment

is the shiny silver stuff on the door another kind of dampener, or that just how the door is?

<--- has never taken off the door panels

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
              RB springs
              Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
              MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

It's another type of dampener - it's what you call Dynamat.

Comment

That blue stuff should go well with your velvet dash...

When you're rating how well they work, can you listen for road noise differences too? I don't have an 18 in my trunk but I'd like to quiet down the whole car if I can.

Comment

intruder... ouch.. very ouch... i know what dynamat is.
                    lol

but thanks... i thought it looked like it.

RB springs
                    Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

4th pic down you can see part of the dynamat extreme logo that was when i worked at best buy, and 4 sq ft sold for $30 in the store, but with my discount it was only $11 it's still cheaper to get raamat, though.

i'll see if i notice a road noise difference. if either dampener worked better than the other, i'm going to put it on my front doors. the other will be used for under my trunk. yes i said under. everything down there rattles like hell and it's annoying as hell no matter how many times i bend the heat shield for the muffler out of place, within a second it starts rattling again i'm also going to do the underside of my rear bumper, cause that is shaking almost a 1/4".

Comment

poor car... one day everything will just fall off

RB springs
                        Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

is your paint cracking from the trunk flexing in and out?
                          2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
                          KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
                          Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
                          Groundkit

Comment

nice. hey blue, do you think the paint on stuff is better than the mat?
                            2002.5 protege dx

Comment

i think that's what he's testing today.
                              i was gonna buy the v2 roll from eD.. but if the painting stuff is better.. i'll just buy a tub of that.

blue...how much surface do you think you could cover with the can?

RB springs
                              Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

Working...
                              X