homemade a/f gauge good or bad for tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

homemade a/f gauge good or bad for tuning

i found this in the how to's what do you guy's think.
    also do you think this would be a good option instead of spending a good amount of money on a wideband 02.

thanks ryan
    5 boosted bp cars,why...

thats friggin sweet.
    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Now if only I knew how to make that.
      BP-05 Turbo-Sold
      2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

so u guy's think is good.
        thanks ryan
        5 boosted bp cars,why...

Comment

yea thx ryan.....
          The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

wow that does look really cool. I am really thinking of attempting this. But I want a blue one, which is available. SP400-BLUE
            My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
            JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
            AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

C-17 Pilot--Jonathan--ProTuner

Comment

I like this one. I found it a while ago.

Comment

Don't even think about tuning your car using one, if you want to get anywhere close to the best and safest performance set up. Those things can be built for a few $s, for the simple reason that they make pretty lights come on and give you some idea about the state of the fuelling, but are nowhere close to accurate.

The output of the Lambda sensor is designed to indicate rich or lean, but not HOW rich or lean. The output varies with temperature as well as Oxygen content. A proper wideband set up uses a controller and monitor so that the output can be compensated for temperature to allow a true A/F reading. That's why they cost $s - because they work!
                www.323gtx.co.uk
                www.323gtr.net

Comment

I only trust 5 wire o2 widebands. Like the man says, you can see on either side of 14.7:1, but it will never spell out how far on each side you are. Look at the voltage curve for the narrowband sensors and you should be able to see why.

A good wideband is a whole lot cheaper than they used to be. There are some without datalogging that start close to $300USD now with sensor, bung for exhaust, etc.. Datalogging feature tends to add $150-200... and then each version has some slight difference from the competetion. I currently like the Dynojet wideband commander.... looks like AEM, but has datalogging that AEM does not. A lot of the other kits, including DIY, or Innovate, or PLX, look like cheese in comparison... but will work.

Start looking for a real wideband... it's well worth the cash. That or spend the money for a dyno everytime you make a modification

Comment

Originally posted by 323GT-R
                    Don't even think about tuning your car using one, if you want to get anywhere close to the best and safest performance set up. Those things can be built for a few $s, for the simple reason that they make pretty lights come on and give you some idea about the state of the fuelling, but are nowhere close to accurate.

The output of the Lambda sensor is designed to indicate rich or lean, but not HOW rich or lean. The output varies with temperature as well as Oxygen content. A proper wideband set up uses a controller and monitor so that the output can be compensated for temperature to allow a true A/F reading. That's why they cost $s - because they work!
                    makes sense.
                    My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
                    JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
                    AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

C-17 Pilot--Jonathan--ProTuner

Comment

Working...
                    X