What Kind of Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Kind of Turbo

What Kind of turbo can I get for my 90 Protege lx that will work good and won't put a huge dent in my wallet
    Why Won't You Die!

well its not your 90 lx untill u give me the rest of my $$$... lol

but you can look for a VJ20 wich comes from the gtx.,

Comment

ok look...if your gonna go turbo...your wallet is gonna have a dent..PLAIN and SIMPLE.

Turbo=$300 (thats cheap az fuq!)

Intercooler= $150...from a truck junyard

Piping=$200 (do it your self piping..you buying U-bends then getting them welded)

Manifold= who knows (unless your getting a god deal on one with the turbo)..

i missing some stuff but u can see where this is going

ur still gonna need a BOV, Oil line going to Oil Pan, Fuel Setup of some sort..maybe even a fuel pump...iit all adds up....

Comment

dave did u enter the gtx raffle???

Comment

Originally posted by SPENONE
          ok look...if your gonna go turbo...your wallet is gonna have a dent..PLAIN and SIMPLE.

Turbo=$300 (thats cheap az fuq!)

Intercooler= $150...from a truck junyard

Piping=$200 (do it your self piping..you buying U-bends then getting them welded)

Manifold= who knows (unless your getting a god deal on one with the turbo)..

i missing some stuff but u can see where this is going

ur still gonna need a BOV, Oil line going to Oil Pan, Fuel Setup of some sort..maybe even a fuel pump...iit all adds up....
          look around for a gtx mani and turbo that someone might be selling. Every once in a while you can get both for 300-400 bux.

MX-6 SMIC only runs about 50 bux on ebay + like 10 to ship. Thats good enough for low boost on the vj20.

piping is gonna eat you up like he said.
          as well as all of that other stuff. It can be done, but cheaply is a very vauge question. how cheap is cheap for you? Keep in mind you can get it done hella cheap, but toss reliability out the window.
          The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by D323
            look around for a gtx mani and turbo that someone might be selling. Every once in a while you can get both for 300-400 bux.

MX-6 SMIC only runs about 50 bux on ebay + like 10 to ship. Thats good enough for low boost on the vj20.

piping is gonna eat you up like he said.
            as well as all of that other stuff. It can be done, but cheaply is a very vauge question. how cheap is cheap for you? Keep in mind you can get it done hella cheap, but toss reliability out the window.

very well said.

Comment

thx.

you covered the basics, I just elaborated.

Comment

well there's a gtx turbo and manny on ebay if you are looking. and yes it does add up. you'll also NEED a clutch...alot of people don't mention that but your stock clutch will last ehh...maybe a week.... lol if that.

Des.

Comment

last a week? wtf do you do with your turbo pro? peel it out at every stoplight you hit? ride the clutch on every gear even on the highway?... you don't need a new clutch, the clutch will not affect the engine's power, unless you have a 500hp engine running on a stock disc and ****.. you don't need a clutch.. i dont know what you were thinking posicle.. maybe because i havn't been sleeping for almost 48 hours i'm hallucinating.. but wtf would you need a clutch for a small turbo upgrade that will maybe make 20-30 hp? -.- pay attentions "des" he doesnt want to dent his wallet, so he wont be doing a hc pistons +rings and forged c-rods, he wont be doing forged crank, he wont be stroking, he wont be boring, he wont be getting the valves angled. so he basically.. he wont be boosting alot. just enough to put some ponies under the wheels... so wtf does he need a new clutch?...

Comment

Because the stock clutch sucks balls, get a new clutch if your doing a turbo upgrade, simple as that

Not like there a arm and a leg anyway, cheap as dirt
                    Joe H
                    2000 Chevy Impala
                    3400 3.4 Liter V6
                    Fun Times

Fenderwell Intake w/ K&N Cone,
                    U-Bend Delete, Resonator Delete,
                    Flowmaster 40, Hi-Flow Cat, Optima Redtop

Comment

I could slip my stock clutch on less than stock power when racing the car. For some reason it would always slip, ironically enough, on the exit out of Star Mazda in 2nd gear.
                      2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

I've got an AutoZone clutch and it slips during redline shifts, I wouldn't even consider adding a turbocharger without upgrading the clutch.
                        '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
                        '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
                        '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
                        '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
                        '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
                        '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by hienishere
                          last a week? wtf do you do with your turbo pro? peel it out at every stoplight you hit? ride the clutch on every gear even on the highway?... you don't need a new clutch, the clutch will not affect the engine's power, unless you have a 500hp engine running on a stock disc and ****.. you don't need a clutch.. i dont know what you were thinking posicle.. maybe because i havn't been sleeping for almost 48 hours i'm hallucinating.. but wtf would you need a clutch for a small turbo upgrade that will maybe make 20-30 hp? -.- pay attentions "des" he doesnt want to dent his wallet, so he wont be doing a hc pistons +rings and forged c-rods, he wont be doing forged crank, he wont be stroking, he wont be boring, he wont be getting the valves angled. so he basically.. he wont be boosting alot. just enough to put some ponies under the wheels... so wtf does he need a new clutch?...
                          Turboes make more than 20-30 hp and yes, you WILL need a clutch.
                          BP-05 Turbo-Sold
                          2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

Originally posted by hienishere
                            crank and rods are already forged.

vj20 is stock boost on the GTX ecu @8 psi. 8psi is more like a 60-70 hp upgrade.

while its true that stock may not last long, it should last more than a week, depending on how much life the clutch has left and how hard you are on it.

But you also have to be realistic.... how many ppl boost their motor then drive it slowly? I know if my motor is boosted, its gonna be used to its full potential.

Comment

You can easily burn out the clutch with just the stock power. Trust me I did it (learning to drive teh stick = fried clutch).

Comment

Working...
                              X