No announcement yet.

Lets talk about..... nitrous....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, see, the nitrous would only be a once in a while thing. It's no secret that road racing is my thing, so the nitrous would be for the occasional drag race, or an impromptu with a mustang or something.
    -'91 Festiva L
    -'91 Pro AWD New Project

Comment

overall, when you push the envelope of an engine you decrease longetivity and reliability. The further you push it the more detrimental it will be. It's all about how long you want the engine to last in the end.

I am fully aware that running my motor at 220whp will shorten its life versus running it at 160whp. The stress and strain on the components is higher resulting in a higher failure rate. Simple as that.

Comment

Ah, more true words have never been spoken, Lex. You are fully aware that running 1 bar on your engine will shorten it's expected longevity, yet you do it anyways. That's because it's not nearly as fun to yell out the window at the person who just smoked you "YEAH!! Well my engine will last longer than yours!!!" Seriously, I've got common sense on my side, and I'm probably going to have a hard enough time with traction as it is. My cousin, who mind has a built gsr engine going into his civic hatch as we speak, has issued a formal challenge to all takers. We have some extremely large headed supra owners in our area, so he has issued a notification that "the supra slayer is coming..." So one way or another, I have to at least be able to hold my own. I figured a KLZE with a 75 shot would be the quickest and easiest way. I've already got the drag radials and trackbite, all I need now is some good advice, and some prayers!!!
        -'91 Festiva L
        -'91 Pro AWD New Project

Comment

the KLZE vavlve train in not durable enough to safely take over 6500 on a daily basis.
          the KLDE valvetrain is more durable then the ZE. its highly reccomended that you do research before doign anythign crazy
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Whoa!! Good call, bpt323, I had no idea. Yikes, that could have been nasty. This is a bit of a test engine, but I at least want to keep it running through the year!! As soon as I read that, I jumped over to probetalk.com and wouldn't you know it, they have a sticky about it. Dude, if you just saved me an engine, I am eternally grateful. Just out of curiousity, I don't suppose my k8 valvesprings are any stiffer, you think?? Just a though!
            -'91 Festiva L
            -'91 Pro AWD New Project

Comment

lol, supra Slayer. What does he have done to it?? Cause Honestly, there are a couple GSR's here in the valley (Seriously, there are two) and I beat one the other day, the other one was having "engine problems". Know that I have Snow Tires on he challenged me, lol. Of course I said see you in the spring time when I have the Sumemr tires back on. But ya, for as much work as ppl put into those and money, the $2500 BP turbo sure walks them.

But I say go KL-ZE then go with a 85 WET shot. You should be fine, and you should be able to hold your own pretty easy (See you have a mx3??). Do some weight reduction and you will be set.

Mexican: "You wanna race for titles?"
              Mormon: "lol, no, I don't want your car."

Comment

Well, unfortunately Coy has put some serious time and effort into the car. Full Toda Racing head package, Toda 12.6:1 comp pistons, rods, lightweight everything. Literally, the works. I've never seen an eight thousand dollar honda engine until now. We expect to see mid to high 11s with the car(provided it gets traction), so you can understand why I'm feeling the need to do something to my mx3. He gets harassed constantly because he has a honda. And so, the quest begins. He wanted me to come along for the ride, so I'm dedicating a year to building my car and making an impact on the local scene. I don't know a lot about our cars, but I do know how do drive well, and I have seen alot of what works and a lot of what doesn't. We are confident that he will have a good all around package, not focused on drag, not too focused on road or autocross racing, but just the right balance to be deadly on and off the track. I do have an engineering background, so numbers are what I'm good with. I've made some basic calculations, and we built the engine accordingly. I have to admit that i've spent vastly more time on my suspension than on the engine, so I have some catching up to do. But that's why I'm here!!! I want your expertise!! People of wihandyman.com, enlighten me!!! If I had a base mx3, i'd be all over that bpt swap, btw. Burrly numbers on a stock bottom end, fellas. I can't believe you guys are getting close to 300 whp!!
                -'91 Festiva L
                -'91 Pro AWD New Project

Comment

Whoa, that was long. Sorry, guys.
                  -'91 Festiva L
                  -'91 Pro AWD New Project

Comment

Most of us here have B series motors ... but the KLZE is a very potent motor from what I've seen ... even more so boosted or on the bottle. GroHarlem has one in his MX-3 and his car is in the 14's without any forced induction.

Due to the large displacement of the ZE, a turbo will have a very positive impact on it (at least a 50 trim T3 due to the larger flow requirements) Consider that as well as an alternative to to N2O. Better engine management should be mandatory in that case however.

Good luck on the build and I'd suggest to err on the side of caution because a blown motor is not much fun after the fact.

Comment

Hey, look at it this way, guys. If my car goes capute, that means that there will be a set of mint condition leather mx3 seats on the market!
                      -'91 Festiva L
                      -'91 Pro AWD New Project

Comment

Originally posted by teqnyck
                        Hey, look at it this way, guys. If my car goes capute, that means that there will be a set of mint condition leather mx3 seats on the market!

dibs...

Mexican: "You wanna race for titles?"
                        Mormon: "lol, no, I don't want your car."

Comment

Working...
                        X