Water Injection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Injection

Ok, so if I switched to water injection should I still run a FMIC?? I am thinking about just go to strictly water injection with no IC.

I kinda was imput from people that actually know the diffence in this...

Mexican: "You wanna race for titles?"
    Mormon: "lol, no, I don't want your car."

Well water injection is only used to help prevent detonation is conditions when an intercooler is not enough. or reaching the edge of its efficiency range.

I dont use water injection (obviously) but i did alot of research into it considering its always been voodoo for water and engines to be in the place
    "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
    -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
    *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
    172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
    New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

you can even run methanol injection and an FMIC would still do a better job in cooling the intake charge. The problem is that you would need a large volume of water/methanol to cool down the charge sufficiently. That large a volume would upset the overall mixture.

However adding water injection when you already have an FMIC is not a bad thing

Comment

Well I was reading and looking into Graphs and stuff, and you can run Water/alcohol inplace of an IC. But if there would ever be failure, then your engine could go Boom!

And actually water injection with a FMIC and without is a very small difference in Air intake temps. I think it was like 5 degree difference running with an IC and without. Since most systems now inject after the turbo and IC the water and alcohol actually do the cooling more than an IC, so the IC is more for looks/a safe backup if the water system fails.

this has made me want to do it all the more...

Comment

I know a guy that was running 320whp on a prelude with methanol injection and then got a big IC and he went above 350whp just because of the cooler temps.

Aside from being more stealth, I don't see other advantages of water/ic cooling

Comment

Originally posted by Lex
            I know a guy that was running 320whp on a prelude with methanol injection and then got a big IC and he went above 350whp just because of the cooler temps.

Aside from being more stealth, I don't see other advantages of water/ic cooling
            It he running just methanol? Case my RX7 Datalogs have shown like 50 degree intake temps then add Water/Alcohol injection and they are down to like 12degrees...

Comment

water injection is a good idea, but keep your intercooler!!!!! It will just make it that much colder! If your worried about throttle response, maybe go with a smaller intercooler and shorter pipes, but by no means get rid of it all together!
              sigpic

Comment

For reference:

Comment

he was running just methanol yes. It also depends on how complicated you want to make the system.

Is it going to be just a Hobbs switch on a boost line+pump,lines,reservoir? Or are you going to get a prebuilt injection kit?

I guess at that point you'll have to watch the water/alcohol levels pretty closely.

IMO it's more expensive and more trouble than it's worth. But hey, it does help power if tuned for it and and it's interesting to play with so that's cool. It would be nice if you could have two maps on a standalone. One for use with the injection and one without so that you wouldn't constantly have to fill up the tank. But a standalone would be able to take full advantage of that. I know my IC is very cold to the touch even under heavy boost.

One thing I wouldn't do is remove the IC. It's a failsafe and its already in place.

Comment

Working...
                  X