Ohh god help me for even asking..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ohh god help me for even asking..

So. I realized that the resonator I have on my car is causing me sick backpressure because it is not a straight through design. No problem I say.. I just buy a new straight through resonator and stick it in its place.. Now.. Sigh.. There were no 2.5 inch straight through type resonators in town.. So I went to *cough* canadian tire and picked up a.... a .... . a well its.. its a.... A cherry bomb.

Ohh jesus what have I done?!?!?

I didnt put it on the car because the mere thought of its name and just the look of it immedately brings up images of rusted out ****box civics. It is to my understanding though, that this is simply a resonator.. nothing more. Just a fancy brand name one as opposed to a generic one. My muffler will still be in place this 'Cherry Bomb' is just taking place of the crappy one I have on now. Itll sound as if a normal resonator is there won't it?
    God this thing is ugly though.. its the stupidest color red ever.. it looks like a hookup for the fire department or something. Itll be getting a coat of black I guarantee that. Depending on what you guys think of course.

Sigh.. It better not sound stupid...
    93 MX-3
    BP, Wiseco Pistons, Pauter Rods, Haltech E6X, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing, 3 inch turbo back exhaust, Bully Six puck clutch

"Jesus, its raining out! I cant get traction in this!!!"

i would never put that thing on my car EVER!

Comment

But is it a resonator?
      93 MX-3
      BP, Wiseco Pistons, Pauter Rods, Haltech E6X, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing, 3 inch turbo back exhaust, Bully Six puck clutch

Comment

To my knowledge a "Cherry Bomb" is a muffler?... I thought you were looking for a resignator.

Just go to a muffler shop and see what they recommend... I'd say something by Magnaflow if there is one.

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
        Member of MX-3.com
        1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
        1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

get a magnaflow for like 75 bones... take that cherry bomb and give it to an enemy...

you will be pissed off when you weld that **** up and it sounds like your running over a whoopie cusion...

I've been running no muffler because I have to save up for a decent exhaust job... and I would rather do that than use a cherry bomb. You will learn that impulse buys of crappy stuff will usually end up with regret and a bunch of your favorite explicit blasphemic words...

1998 Subaru Forester S/Turbo | Shaggin' Wagon
          1990 Mazda Miata MX5 | WTF I can drag asphalt with my hand
          2003 MuZ Baghira 660 SM | Single Slammer
          2008 KTM 250sx 2T Supermoto | Kart Track Killer

Shift_Buy Broken & Build...

Comment

...****

Looks like Ill be in the return line at crappy tire.
            DAMNIT.. I thought this was a resonator.. The deception!
            Last edited by Franko; 06-12-2006, 11:02 AM.
            93 MX-3

Comment

its not the design or the capability of the "cherry bomb" that is bad, it the craftsmanship, I had dual cherry bombs as reasonators on my s-10 that ran to dual flowmaster 40 series mufflers, sounded awsome till the CB's rotted from the inside out and caused them to sound like hell till they rusted all the way through (in 2 months mind you )
              "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
              -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
              *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
              172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
              New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

ahh we have one on our farm tractor. They are resinators, just a keep excuss for one. Get a nice glass pack Mangaflow one. When have those on the mustang and boy does it sound nice..

Mexican: "You wanna race for titles?"
                Mormon: "lol, no, I don't want your car."

Comment

i had thought about the same thing , like you franko. C.B. for my answer.

well im running 3 inch mand. bends all the way back from my turbo(t3/t4)
                  with only a dynamax bullet muffler ( 3 in 3 out) and it sounds really loud,too
                  loud for me and not the right tone.

so im looking for something like a resonator too, anyone else have thoughts on this.
                  or better yet tell us your Exh. set-ups/ what your running.

People running big boost on aftermarket turbos are prefered for this one.
                  thanks
                  5 boosted bp cars,why...

Comment

I am running 2.5" with a Metal Cat and a BMW 2.5" straight-thru muffler... best sound I have ever had....

Mexican: "You wanna race for titles?"
                    Mormon: "lol, no, I don't want your car."

Comment

If theres one thing I need it would be a 3 inch exhaust. This 2.5 is killing me. Basically its unoffically required to have a 3 inch on your car if you have a aftermarket turbo.

Well anyways, I brought that piece of crap back. Perhaps it was for the best. Ill have to figure out what to do with my system now.. Maybe Ill just say screw it and save for the 3 inch.
                      93 MX-3

Comment

If you can run as many premuffler resonators as you can, and get them as long as you can that will fit under there... Finish it out with a good muffler, Greddy, or something of the sort...

If you stick to those guidelines you destined for nice quiet running, good deep tone, great sound, and most likely less droning...
                        1998 Subaru Forester S/Turbo | Shaggin' Wagon
                        1990 Mazda Miata MX5 | WTF I can drag asphalt with my hand
                        2003 MuZ Baghira 660 SM | Single Slammer
                        2008 KTM 250sx 2T Supermoto | Kart Track Killer

Shift_Buy Broken & Build...

Comment

anyone else want to add to this.
                          5 boosted bp cars,why...

Comment

magnaflow 2.5 inch diameter 18 inch long 4 inch round muffler makes a good resonator
                            mods: engine: fm stroker lightened and knifedged crank, 11:1, custom crank scraper, fully p&p head and intake mani, bored throttle body, flowed and matched stock injectors, rx7 vaf, apexi safc, gude race cams, modded ecu 8200 fuel cutoff, blaster coil, clutchmasters stage 3 clutch, fidanza fly wheel and timeing gears, msp diff, custom shortram in a cold air box

suspension: s/r struts intrack springs and intrax sway bars 15x6.5 rims kumho mx tires 205 50 r 15

Comment

Working...
                            X