Oil pan drain back hole size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil pan drain back hole size?

For those of you with GTX and GTR BP's... what size NPT hole is in your oil pan?

1/4 or 3/8?

1/4 seems kinda small and 3/8 seems a little too big for the stock location.

Thanks!

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
    Member of MX-3.com
    1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
    1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

I welded this oil return onto my stock oil pan:
    http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me...egory_Code=OIL
    Back in BG business.

Comment

expensive but it mightwork.
      its 1/2- 5/16"
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323
        expensive but it mightwork.
        its 1/2- 5/16"
        In the factory location on the oil pan? 3/8's barely fits.

I think I'm just gonna go 3/8 NPT... bigger is always better for drain back ya?

Member of MX-3.com

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

Comment

Originally posted by Shades

In the factory location on the oil pan? 3/8's barely fits.

I think I'm just gonna go 3/8 NPT... bigger is always better for drain back ya?

The drain is huge compared to the inlet so not that much oil passes through there. The downward angle is quite important though since the drain is not pressurized. For the record, the drain on the GTR turbo is larger than the VJ20, so in this case bigger is better

Comment

you can't go to big with the Oil return as its gravity bled back into the oil pan.

& yes the prospective sizes i listed above were for GTX & GTR respectively
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Do you think I need that 5 degree angle going into the oil pan? I mean the gravity from the turbo downward should make it flow.

Reason is that I've already started drilling and it's already 90 degree to the oil pan side.

Prospective sizes... sweet! So 3/8's is plenty then.

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

Do you think I need that 5 degree angle going into the oil pan? I mean the gravity from the turbo downward should make it flow.

Reason is that I've already started drilling and it's already 90 degree to the oil pan side.

Prospective sizes... sweet! So 3/8's is plenty then.

I think it should be ok as long as the turbo sits higher than the return and there is a downward angle in the tube from the turbo to the return.

How's the overall progress by the way Jon, Ive been so busy I haven't had a chance to chat in a while.

Comment

have fun making couplers to downsize from the turbo outlet tot he oil pan size

Comment

That where brass pipe fittings come in!

I work in a machine shop, if I don't have something I'll make it.

Progress is going slow Lex... but faster than it was before. I don't know when I'm gonna get this thing together... so many little things to do and so many little things that hinder progress. My schedule at the end of the month has been moved forward.

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323
                      you can't go to big with the Oil return as its gravity bled back into the oil pan.

& yes the prospective sizes i listed above were for GTX & GTR respectively
                      So the GTR has a smaller hole?
                      2005 Mazda 3

Comment

pardon me..... i didn't mean 5/16 i meant 5/8"

Comment

5/8th is huge! That won't fit in the stock location...

Hmmm...

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

That where brass pipe fittings come in!

I work in a machine shop, if I don't have something I'll make it.

Progress is going slow Lex... but faster than it was before. I don't know when I'm gonna get this thing together... so many little things to do and so many little things that hinder progress. My schedule at the end of the month has been moved forward.
                            Cool - let me know when you need a hand with it all. I will have a bit more free time after labor day camping; we should get together and shoot the **** - also I want to see this thing come together

Comment

i'll go remeasure my gtx one tommorow... but 5/8 is just a little bigger then a 1/2 inch
                              i could be way off
                              the last time i measured them was in early march

Comment

Working...
                              X