Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP im building an air inake and have a question...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP im building an air inake and have a question...?

hay i have a 2001 sp20/protege and am building a 3" shiny new intake and have a few questions.

#1 - do i need a breather on my air intake pipe or a hose connecting pipe to crankcase. i have a breather for the crankcase.

#2 - what do people think of the turbine fan (non electric) that get inserted inside intake pipe and spool up and give turbo effect.
    would it have to be before or after AFM. if after would it be bad for engine/ecu as the afm has already read the air flow?

#3 - and finally what about the little resistor type things that get inserted into the AIT sensor (O2 sensor) to trick the ECU to thinking its always getting cold air? good or bad?
    also does it really matter where the tempreture probe is?

any help is greatly appreciated.

#1 If you connected a breather to the valve cover then just plug up the hole left on your intake pipe.

#2. Those things are useless and a waste of money and time. The little fans don't spin fast enough to increase airflow the same way a turbo does.

#3. Once again this is a hack. You are tricking the computer to think the car's engine is cold so it throws in more fuel resulting in poorer fuel economy without real gains in performance. Your car is fairly modern so this black box hack might also throw a check engine light.

Your intake air temp probe is most likely part of your MAF assembly and should be left there. Your coolant temp sensor is in the coolant stream and once again there is no reason to reposition it.

Some things that will improve performance in the low price end are an intake made for your car, free flowing exhaust, headers ... etc.
    Last edited by Lex; 08-13-2007, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Cheers Lex,
      opps i have already brought a fan for intake, so will give it a go and see what happens. some say i am the perfect consumer..

do you reckon the #3 part is bad for your car?

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi mazda boye View Post
        Cheers Lex,
        opps i have already brought a fan for intake, so will give it a go and see what happens. some say i am the perfect consumer..

do you reckon the #3 part is bad for your car?
        Too much fuel is never good. It can foul your plugs, wash down your cylinders and go into your oil, etc. etc.
        **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
        95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

Working...
        X