• Show
Clear All

Backfire out the wastegate?

... is that due to too much fuel?

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
    Member of MX-3.com
    1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
    1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

could be...

Comment

what are you A/F ratios when it's happening?
      Create your own VB Gallery here.

Please DONATE to keep our forum alive!

I've decided that my car is a girl, she's picky as hell, won't listen to me, always wants to fight me, and when i give her presents it's never good enough and she always wants more.

<-"Will be the death of this forum"

Comment

Yikes!
        Timing maybe?
        1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
        1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
        2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
        1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

Too much fuel that finishes burning in the exhaust and WG. Your EGTs are high I suppose?

Comment

Well this only happened when I upped the boost on the wastegate. A lot of pow pow bang bang, sounded like an old Batman show. I'm thinking too much fuel that the MS needs to be more sensitive, change some lag times.

My A/F's were good... 11.8's while on boost. My timing should be good cause I don't get bangs when I down the boost. The spool is much quicker, as in it gets to full boost faster now so I'm thinking sensitivity on the MS.

Member of MX-3.com

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

Comment

If I remember correctly you have the standard 2.5Bar map sensor in there. So we might have set a boost cut at around 20-21psi since that's where the sensor maxes out at and that's exactly what it would sound like.

EDIT: We can take the boost cut off, but I don't recommend going too much above the 21psi point and there is a risk of a runaway (oh noes) turbo/boost condition that won't be stopped without the cut. It would be called overboost protection in Megatune.

Something like this:

I can look at it on Monday
              Last edited by Lex; 09-02-2009, 09:42 AM.

Comment

It's funny tho, it wasn't anywhere near 20psi when the backfiring started... maybe 10psi or more.

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

Hmm maybe something else. Can you reproduce the event all the time?

Comment

Yup... almost every time I stepped on the pedal. I'll try again tonight when I get home.

I love the feeling of this setting cause the boost hits a lot harder, or as in the wastegate keeps shut longer.

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

So it backfires now with the new setting but boost does not get to 20psi before it backfires? Also, what if you lean into the throttle slowly?

Comment

I'm thinking I have to gap my spark plugs smaller... it's probably having a misfire at high boost. It pops around 10-15psi... and only happens when I give it the beans.

I also had some popping tonight at my normal setting... gonna pull the plugs tomorrow and have a look.

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

Plugs or plug wires have done this for me. Jon drop me a line with when you'll be by on Monday.

Comment

Working...
                          X