Need help identifying turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help identifying turbo

Ok so i was looking for a ball bearing turbo, I found a ad on the local craigslist (may have been a mistake?!?!?) so i talked to the guy and he said he got this turbo on a trade for some srt4 parts, Suposibly it came from a kit for a cobalt ss. Well i asked for some numbers to see if i could google it to get more info. unfortunetly there is a lack of numbers or anything i can make out. the previous owner was told it was BB, when i inspected it there was no play and it was a little stiff but glided nice (didnt feel grainy or rough) i took the gamble and gave the guy 300. i got it to my buddies house first thing we realized was it was missing the inducer and turbine hold downs, no big deal maybe some one was trying to clock it? We seperated the exhaust side to find what looked like shavings on the impeller, it didnt make any sense thoughm there was no play and it didnt look like it rubbed any where. it pretty much looked like a new turbo. we came to the conclusion that maybe this was ceramic coating from the painting of the CHRA? im guessing someone just sprayed the center section and didnt bother to cover up the impeller? i cleaned it with some brake clean and its coming off but its getting grainy and sliding under the seal plate? so now i need to clean that out some how. the big question is did i get hosed? is it ball bearing? what is it? it is oil cooled and water cooled, seems like its restricted on the oil side which im sure thats only on BB turbos right?

If you do a google image search you'll see that the colbalt ss turbo looks different. ITs probably a t25 or t28
    Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
    "Who Dey"

Comment

the LNF in the Cobalt uses a Borg-Warner K04 twinscroll...
      sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
      92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

this was supposedly from a upgraded kit, its definitely a t25, but not twin scroll, is this maybe a gt28? also has anyone seen a turbine painted like that before? is this common? maybe a remanufacturer did that?
        Last edited by Hot_Wheels; 04-16-2011, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Those vanes don't look like my gt28. Tough to say though.
          '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
          '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
          http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

YOu never know. It could be an ebay turbo with a garrett comp housing.
            "Who Dey"

Comment

looks like a t28 from a s14? should be bb..
              DX BP swap/turbo build

Comment

The elbow does make me think it came one something rwd
                "Who Dey"

Comment

Working...
                X