Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Goal...Possible?

Hello...

I owned a 95 Protege and currently just finished a GTR swap to it...my actual goal for this daily drive is around 300 - 350whp :o
    But for now...I'm just after the 250 - 280whp mark as I currently am broke from the swap process...

Few mods I had made to the car :
    *Walbro 255 Fuel pump
    *Turbosmart FPR800
    *Turbosmart CompGate 40mm External Wastegate
    *Turbosmart Manual T boost controller
    *SS Turbo Header (kinda like a Ram Horn style)
    *MicroTech MT8 upgraded to LT8 with 3 Bar MAP Sensor (Mild Tune as for now)
    *1.6 DOHC Gearbox taken from an Astina with 3 puck clutch and Exedy pressure plate (3 pucks really makes driving uncomfortable)
    *2" Hot side IC pipes and 2.5" Cold side IC pipes
    *Mitsu EVO 3 FMIC
    *Greddy Type S BOV (VTA for the ricer :lol: )
    *MSD 6A with NGK 8mm Plug Cables
    *NGK BKR7EIX Plugs

So...I was wondering if the stock BPD internals could hold up to 21 psi of boost thrown towards it...if I'm not mistaken the VJ23 could hold up till 21 psi right?
    Should I ditch the SS china made turbo mani and stick with the GTR ones with EWG port welded to it? The SS mani really stuffed up my engine bay...
    I'm hoping to get feedback and comments if its possible to get to 250-280whp range with a proper tune?
    And what will I need in the future for achieving a 350whp daily drive car?

Thank you for reading and commenting

yea 250-280 should be achievable easily with the gtr turbo. and stock gtr internals are pretty strong, capable of well over 300hp. i have a gtr turbo and i dynod at around 250, and thats with 4wd. only mods i have are a downpipe, fmic, and a boost controller for the internal wastegate.

NW MAZDAS

Comment

Any pictures of the SS manifold that's cluttering your bay up? If you already have the GTR exhaust manifold modified to run the external WG...I'd stick to that....either way you're on the right patch to ditch the internal wastegate for something more responsive and consistent lol.

GTR engine will take all the abuse it can from the VJ23 though, never heard of any issues running that kind of boost levels yet...just on the n/a 1.8 or the GTX 1.8 because of the thinner rods and different pistons (I think the pistons are different at least)
      -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

yeah, VJ23 doesn't flow enough air to kill a BPD unless you do something dumb.

I do dumb stuff all the time and still haven't killed mine.
        sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
        92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

The internals of a gtr motor should hold 400hp on a good tune if I'm not mistaken. Let's see that engine bay.
          1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
          1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
          2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
          2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
          .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

or even on a stock computer. I doubt you'd get there with a VJ23 though.
            sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
            92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

Ahhh...it makes me feel happy looking at the comments and suggestion...I will post pictures of the engine bay ASAP today...

Comment

Here is the SS manifold...looks decent but the runners are not that smooth and also not equal in length...taking it off and replacing with the gtr manifold...placing the EWG beside the new 2.5" DP...hope 2.5" is sufficient enough...

New EWG placement...I know the welds look awful...LOL
                Last edited by adikgemok; 11-09-2012, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X