Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Northern OC, Cal

Hello all

Our '90 323 was my wife's first car which she drove for many years since new. Since then she 'disowned' it and moved on to bigger and better rides. But being a weekend wrench monkey I could not let the old 323 to slip into oblivion especially with $5 gas over horizon. With that in mind I had to bring some reliability, and driveability back to the old 'girl'.

It is not much (my wife constantly tells me that it will never be a MBZ!)- it is a base 1.6L 323 with automatic (aghg), AC that still works, PS and PB are fully functional as well. All would have been well, but it was leaking engine oil all over the place. It took almost 2 month (limited to few hours on weekends to chase the leak down) - only to find that a cam seal that was sucked into the head. As a result of this detective work, new oil pump, water pump, oil pan seals (RTV gasket and half moon seals), exhaust manifold gaskets, fixing busted exhaust manifold stud, new O2 sensor, timing belt, drive belts and lower rad hose she was back on the road. In the process I took almost 50 digital snap shots and documented this job.

After all this engine work suspension was showing its age as OEM struts have given their best over 18 years of service. Next on tap, for the next couple weekends, is to replace struts and strut mounts on all four corners. New KYB GR2 units are already on hand. The only thing that I am short of to complete this job strut thrust bushing B455-34-38XB. Lucky for me local NAPA store has equivalent replacement part. In addition to struts, lower control ball joints, CV shafts and transaxle seals will be R&R as well. That should tighten the 'knees' on the old girl.

To augment all this suspension work OEM 155/80R13 must go. Last weekend I scored a set of OEM 14x7 rims of '95 Kia from a local pyp JY. JY Kia had 195/60R14 tires mounted, which appear to be just a hair to wide - tire rubs on a gas tank filler protective cover (rear left corner). I had not have a chance to verify front end interference. Based on my measurements these rims sport ET 44 offset. Perhaps going to 185/60R14 would result in slightly narrower overall width and clear all suspension in front? Comments please.

Next will be interior - seats are junk. Plus a OEM GTU steering wheel from '87 RX7 - hopefully it will fit.

//RF

sounds like you're bringing life back. The rx7 steering wheel will work. Oh and welcome to CP post those pics already
    I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
    |.....Overnight....................| ||
    |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
    |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
    "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
    Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

I'll read this thread tomorrow when I'm more awake lol. But welcome
      1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
      1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
      2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
      .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

^^^ thats chris, he's a slacker
        I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Originally posted by wheresthericego View Post
          ^^^ thats chris, he's a slacker
          2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
          .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Comment

Your sig says alot
              2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay

Comment

I just noticed it. I hate that you have to wait 30 seconds inbetween posts.

Comment

Ok you kids - behave yourself!!!

Although I can swing a joke a on occasion as well

On a serious side of things I have to figure if 14x7 ET44 rims will work on 323??? I did a quick search, but nothing definitive.... I also have a complete write up (pictures with sidebar text in a PDF file) covering my front seal saga.

//RF

Comment

sigpic My cardomain

Comment

Working...
                    X