Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Son's First Car

Hi all, my name is Walt.

I just bought my son his first car, a 96 Protege. Very clean little car for it's age, completely stock... so far. (starting to wish I'd kept it for myself to play with lol) I'm wondering how to identify exactly which engine it has. It's a 1597cc, 16 Valve, DOHC. From what I'm reading most of the Protege's in this year came with 1.8 L? I'm in Canada and this is a local, one owner car. Maybe there's a difference in the Canadian model? Looks like the B6D engine but so far I've only seen them listed on the MX-3.

Anyways, I'm sure I'll have some general maintenance questions at some point. Any help will be greatly appreciated, I'm enjoying this forum so far, you've given me some good info and a few chuckles. Thanks.

Cheers,
    Walt
    Last edited by NoStatic; 10-12-2009, 03:10 PM.

Welcome to the club. 1597cc is equal to 1.597L. I'm not sure where it rounds to, but you either have the 1.5L DOHC (Z5) engine or a 1.6L DOHC (B6?). Not sure what options were available on these cars in Canada. You will find tons of help and info here. Just make sure you do a search before asking questions or else someone will slap you lol (Turpro).
    Last edited by irishkev90; 10-12-2009, 03:15 PM.

Comment

turpro~~><~~N00b

sigpicWorlds first car with GPS was a Mazda

~~~~~~~~> Thanks again to member gooseinyou for the familia garnish <~~~~~~~~

Comment

I'm not that bad
        1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
        1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
        2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
        2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
        .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

lol I'm just kiddin around

Comment

Originally posted by irishkev90 View Post
            Welcome to the club. 1597cc is equal to 1.597L. I'm not sure where it rounds to, but you either have the 1.5L DOHC (Z5) engine or a 1.6L DOHC (B6?). Not sure what options were available on these cars in Canada. You will find tons of help and info here. Just make sure you do a search before asking questions or else someone will slap you lol (Turpro).
            Thanks irishkev90. This forum seems like a good resource, for sure.

I've done some google searches just looking for general reference information and managed to find out a few things about this car so far and I'll probably pick up a shop manual in the near future. Anyone know of any particularly good sites for reference?

Comment

The car has a z5 (1.5l) "DOHC"
              its not a true dual cam head since there is only one cam gear. The cams are linked inside the head by a chain or gear (I don't remember exactly anymore)
              The 98 z5 head has a true DOHC.

What is it that you are looking for about the BH protege?
              BG protege/323 = 1990-1994
              BH protege = 1995-1998
              BJ protege = 1999-2003 (friends dont let friends drive BJ protege's)

A little lingo and welcome to clubprotege
              I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
              |.....Overnight....................| ||
              |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
              |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
              "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
              Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

My first car was a Green 96 Protege, glad to see you've gotten one for your kids first car too. And welcome to the site!!

P.S. Try to find a 90-94 Protege LX/GT for yourself to play with. BP powa!
                -'91 Festiva L
                -'91 Pro AWD New Project

Comment

as far as i understand the canadian cars are usually rounded up .. so it would be a 1.6l. on my under hood sticker it says the same . 1597cc. but only sohc .. and welcome to c.p.....

Comment

they had two options up here. 1.6 or the 1.8. that would be rounded up to 1.6 have fun with the car he is going to love it
                    91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

I'd make him pay you back. He'll take better care of it, and have a better chance of not wrecking it, if it's his money in it...
                      '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                      '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                      http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Thanks everyone, for the responses. Much appreciated.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                        X