• Show
Clear All

92 Protege, its a work in progress.

Hi
    Im a proud 92 Protege Owner.
    let me know what you think.

I sure hope this posting isnt too long lol
    its just been a long haul for My protege and I
    Ive had her for over 3yrs and havent been able to drive her on the road.

Bought the car for cheap(100 bucks lol) it ran like garbage so I spent some time fixing the mech issues.
    0405091452a.jpg
    then I decided to spend some time cleaning her up and fix whatever was wrong with the outside
    0406091413.jpg0406091412.jpg0406091412a.jpg
    after a few weeks I decided she needed something extra to make her look a little different,
    so decided to look into getting a body kit, with no success(no one makes a body kit for the BG series)

so I tracked down some kits for other cars
    and found these
    0509091425.jpg0429091802a.jpg
    of course nothing fit, the front bumper was way too wide, the side skirts were too long and the rear bumper was too small

But I decided to make them all fit, apart from the rear bumper, gave up on it and found another one
    after a whole lot of fiberglass, filler, sanding and primer here is what I ended up with
    0519001605c.jpg0519001604a.jpg0519001605.jpg0519001605b.jpg

but I wasnt done there, Found a nice set of Alloy Nissan Wheels and primed her whole body
    0612001707b.jpg0612001707.jpg

I got tired of the colour after so long and found myself a couple spoilers
    and here is what Im left with today!
    0218011217a.jpg0218011217d.jpg0218011216.jpg

Like my title says, shes a work in progress, I still have a couple things I want to add/change to the body,
    but need to take care of my exhaust first before I start adjusting things on the outside.
    I had a bit of a mishap a couple months ago, I was driving her and catalytic converter got extremely hot, so hot that it melted the exhaust pipe off.
    So Im stuck at that point, havent had time to fix it cause of work and lack of funds.
    But on the up side of working so much, I'm finally coming up to a clearing in my schedule and a nice fat pay cheque next week
    So I'll be taking care of the exhaust first chance I get
    Last edited by 92protege5spd; 05-19-2012, 02:19 PM.
    1990 Mazda 323
    5speed, Cold Air, Greddy Muffler
    white reverse glow gauges!

She doesnt need
    to be fast,
    to look pretty!

that top spoiler doesn't look half bad. What's it off of?

NW MAZDAS

Comment

It came off a Protege 5
      1990 Mazda 323

She doesnt need
      to be fast,
      to look pretty!

Comment

Sorry but barf. Lose the kit and get some power.

Comment

Hey Nightshadow you can be a bit more polite with your opinions ..

So its it not to your taste just say that .. no need to be hating on the guys ride.

He has done a lot of work on it to get what he has.

I dont see your Build thread .. how aboit you show what you are driving ... Hmmm !!

Comment

actually for body kits ( which i am not a fan of ) this isnt that bad . nice work

Comment

Originally posted by 323Permin View Post

So its it not to your taste just say that .. no need to be hating on the guys ride.

I dont see your Build thread .. how aboit you show what you are driving ... Hmmm !!
              Don't mind him. He's a bit of a Dick but he's a good guy. Everyone does have a right to their opinion though. If someone posts up their car they better be ready for positive and negative reactions. Ijs

Definitely not my cup of tea.
              1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
              1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
              2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
              2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
              .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

I actually like the top wing .. welcome to c.p. i think i have seen this car on the street .. just can't remember where..

Comment

Originally posted by 323Permin View Post

It's just criticism relax.

Comment

I forgot to add in my thread that I do have a cold air intake and a Greddy muffler(which is in my signature lol)

Thank you for the comments everyone.

@night shadow, your barf comment is a bit uncalled for. have you ever tried to find a body kit for the BG style? good luck finding one other than the one made by mazda lol
                    or try making one fit that is from another car or 3 other cars in my case. its a lot of work like 323permin said.
                    as for adding power, thats not why I bought the car in the first place, I bought it for fuel economy, plus it was dirt cheap.(refer to my signature if your confused lol)
                    Also I'd like to see what you have, shouldnt criticize if you have nothing to show for.

@tireboy, Thanks for the welcome. I doubt you've seen this on the road as Ive only ever had a couple permits on it since I got it and those were this year, unless you've been out to langley a few years ago. had it parked in my driveway at the house I was living in.

Just to update everyone, I took her in to Johnson's Custom Exhaust in langley, removed the resinator and had all new exhaust piping installed from the cat to muffler. He did an awesome job on it, let me look before he started and left the hoist up once he was done so I could see how everything looks before I left. she sounds so nice now!
                    Last edited by 92protege5spd; 05-27-2012, 02:46 AM.
                    1990 Mazda 323

She doesnt need
                    to be fast,
                    to look pretty!

Comment

So at first you say you've had it for 3 years but never drove it then you said while driving it the cat got clogged. Which is it? And if you're really going for good mpg adding a big bulky body kit isn't the right thing to do. That kills the airflow. There's plenty of guys on here that will agree with me on this, when they added a turbo to their cars it increased their mpg. Why? Because the less the motor has to work the better mpg you'll get. Hell some big turbo people are getting upwards of 40 mpg. I'll give you credit on making the kit. Never said anything about your work. Big body kits aren't my thing and I'll say what i want because you posted your ride on a public forum. If you can't handle other peoples criticism then don't post pics of it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. as for my car, I'm not ready to show it yet as its in a billion pieces being rebuilt and its going to be a few years before its done. Listen, I may be a little bit of a Dick but i have plenty of knowledge about this platform.

Comment

Originally posted by 92protege5spd View Post
                        It came off a Protege 5
                        How did you attach it? And do you have access to a few?

Nice build and how many hours did you put into repairing that front bumper?
                        My car is a Vazondissan. Part Nissan. Part Mazda. Part Ford. Part VW. Part Honda.

1993 Protege - DX with LX upgrades. Still rockin' the SOHC. Custom HID headlight Retrofit.

2009 Mazda 3 - Finacee Car. No power nothing. About to trade in for a 2014 Mazda 6 Sport.

Install Shifter Bushings: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...491#post646491

Custom HID's: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...&highlight=hid

Comment

whoa that body kit needs to go, i can appreciate the work... the craftsmanship is pretty good...

theres a reason that theyre isnt a bodykit for these cars.. or a million reasons actually

scrap the bodykit, get some stock bumpers, and put your bodywork time into making it look mint again and paint it...

bodykits and primer are soo... high school

1992 MX-3 GS - KLZE
                          1997 Probe GT

Its not a BP05.... Its a BPOS... BIG PIECE OF ****

Comment

i def respect the work. but the front bumper itself is just horrible. but thats not your fault. that body kit looks horrible on every car ive seen it on. lol.

the OEM euro and JDM bumpers cant be beat. they flow with the cars, and arent made of ****ty fiberglass. that pro5 upper spoiler looks GREAT!! I even like the trunk spoiler. but it looks unfinished being not wide enough.
                            ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
                            ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
                            What are you driving?

Comment

welcome to CP! I see what you're trying to do, because trying to find stylish add-ons for the BG chassis can be either hard to find, or extremely expensive (as most bumpers for sale are in the U.S. so shipping would be murder alone), or not available anymore.

Keep in there man, I'm sure you're not 100% happy with the outcome so far, as you're constantly changing/upgrading things as you go...I'm sure the final picture will be more stream line and tasteful.
                              -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Working...
                              X