Hello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello

I'm Aaron. I recently purchased a '95 DX. It was in terrible shape, so I'm making a lot of repairs. I got it to get back and forth to work while my wife drives the new car, while getting adequate gas mileage in the process.

Replaced:
    Both Tie Rod Ends (Outer)
    Both Ball Joints
    Both Rear Struts
    Front Rotors and Pads
    Rear End Links
    Radio (The previous owner left bird nest, also blew "room" fuse)

This weekend:
    Rear drums and shoes
    Plugs and wires

Future:
    Head gasket (white smoke on cold mornings for 5-20 seconds, carbon build up in tailpipe) Most likely taking it to a mechanic because I don't trust myself on a 203,000 mile engine.
    Oil Pan gasket (about 1/4 quart of oil a month leaks)
    Front Struts (aren't "terrible" yet)
    I NEED STOCK RIMS SO BAD! (Previous owner left me with bent and corroded "low rider" style rims that stick out 2" from the body) I hate them btw.
    Alignment

The car still vibrates over 50MPH and under 10MPH, I blame the bent rims. It was very bad before the tie rods and ball joints, so for now its bearable.

Anyway,
    This is my introduction. Hopefully dumping all this money into my Protege is worth it, haha. I also hope to learn more and more about the 2nd GEN Protege from you guys.

replacing the wheel bearings/tie rod ends/balljoints in any order or combination with bent wheels is asking for repeating the job.
    Ditch the rims & buy something cheap off craigslist or you'll regret it within a short time as your replacing the same **** a 2nd time.........
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I've found a parts car. It has less miles and normal wheels. Way better shape overall. Its just needing replacement of water pump and timing belt. Now to decide whether to swap everything into that (96 DX 150,000 miles no dents) or just take the parts every time mine fails (95 DX with 203,000 miles plenty of dents).

Hmm.

Comment

Seems like a no brainer to me!
        '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
        '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
        http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Working...
        X