Researching 2000 Protege ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Researching 2000 Protege ES

My name is Todd Smith and I am looking at a 2000 Madza Protege ES that is on my mechanic's lot sitting as he works on my project truck, 1997 F-150 2WD w a 3.9L Cummins 4BT I4 diesel. The Madza has transmission issues and I want to research the correct parts for daily driver longevity.

I like cars but I don't have the manual dexterity to do much wrenching. I have always like Madza's efforts to use different technology like Wankel and Miller cycle engines, but I have never owned one. My beater Toyota is at 247K and is failing and this Protege looks clean but was a smoker's car and has transmission issues.

Any thing else that the community needs to know, feel free to ask!

Todd

Welcome! Do you know anything specific that's wrong with the transmission? And manual or auto?

HTC Droid DNA

Comment

Sorry, I should have specified, it is a auto and the general problem is that shifting in reverse is very hesitant. Driving around on a road test, it shifts very roughly and hard. I have read in various places about the E3 shift solenoid and the TCM and/or Powertrain Control Module being problems, but I trying to see what the resident experts might have to say about what mods should be done to a auto transmission.

The owner has a another junkyard pull trans to go back in, but I thinking that if I do buy the cart then I would want to replace any weak areas in the nerw trans before installation.

Any stickys or pointers to good posts would be welcomed.

Thanks
      Todd

Comment

Working...
      X