first post, sorry about rules but i need help and fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first post, sorry about rules but i need help and fast

Okay this should be a relatively easy one - i have an 03 protege and the light to indicate that the A/C is on has been flickering. I pulled my head unit out and looked around in there, and the back of the fan speed selector switch was BAKED. I don't know if the connector had the issue or the switch itself, but the resistance must have jumped bad because the connector housing was melted and the actual connectors were all over the place. I need to know one thing can anyone provide a pin out for that connector? I'm trying to source a connector housing, but it looks like I may have to buy the whole under dash wiring harness just for this one part (yeah, right - I'm more likely to fab something myself than spend 350 on a whole wiring harness and rip the dash apart to replace it) but the main issue i'm having here with wire placement is which wire is top and bottom on the passenger side of the connector. Both wires are blue with a gray spot at ~1-1.5" intervals, one of them has a red stripe.

On to the overheating issue, I'll be replacing the switch, but just curious to see if anyone else has heard of this problem. I didn't see anything in a search and I didn't find a TSB covering it, so I'm guessing not but I thought I'd check. Any info would be greatly appreciated, and I'll get around to a profile and pictures and stuff later - after I fix this A/C/fan issue, because really it's more important to keep the wife from getting angry :p

Thanks a bunch!

-Ken

loose connector + amperage = heat, heat + loose connector = more loose ( lol ) = more heat = burnt connector .. seen it on the hazard light connector , and the ac switches .

Comment

That is in fact a likely cause, but I'm still replacing the switch just in case. What I need is what wires connect where, specifically the aforementioned blue wires with silver-grey spots, one of which has a red stripe. I need to know which is top and which is bottom on the back of the fan speed selector switch, and I'm having no luck finding it by searching online. I would really appreciate that small bit of info, from anyone with the same factory harness.

Comment

pictures help.....
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
        X