Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"New" 2001 Protege LX 2.0 owner with issues

...not me, the car.

I inherited my sis' car which has seen 170k from when I rode in it off the lot. It's had a good life and never needed/had any issues mechanically aside from a few niggling issues but never a CEL. After a recent minor service -> engine wash -> 500mi drive, I started having some pretty major issues with idling.

This was posted on Mazdas247 but not even a peep after week, I guess they're not as active so I'm hoping to get some better response here since it seems more active.

No use cluttering the forums so I'll re-ask here:

The story:
    Aside from a shaky (but stable) idle with A/C on, the car ran perfect if a little less rev happy.
    When I got it, I noticed caked oil residue seeping from the valve cover so I had a shop do that along with plugs, wires, coolant, and oil and it seemed to do well on a short fwy trip, after which I cleaned it with some soapy water and brush and rinsed it off all from a water jug. Then I made my 500mi trip back and it was fine cruising at 80 the entire time. Only problem cropped up were 1) stopped for gas mid-way and the idle was low in the ~500 range and started getting jumpy. Back on the freeway until the last 50 mi and I got a flat. It started up even rougher this time and would dip the tach flat and flash the dash lights but I just held rpms up (above 2k) and drove off as it was a sketchy area.

Back home after leaving it parked for a day, the car started ok and drove ok but with a putting sound on accel and also a tapping sound almost like knocking/dieseling sound when I give it some heavy throttle and lift off, sort of how this sounds between 0:08-10 but not as bad/loud.
    Before my destination the idle issues cropped up again so I had to park it on the street and when I asked nearby mechanics and parts shop what they thought and got IAC/plugs and alternator respectively.

I figured to replace the coil packs since the plugs were still newish and it seemed to do better, I could drive it around the block and didn't need throttle assistance and seemed to idle fine but the engine was still technically cold.
    TL;DR version: I did a minor service, engine wash, long drive and had some very puzzling and serious idle issues crop up requiring throttle assistance to keep alive. Replaced coil packs and it seems to have helped, at least on a cold engine. It seems to idle fine but I found that pumping the brakes drops the idle to the point of dying. Also when making slow full lock turns like in a parking lot or u-turn, the brake pedal will feel stiff like if the car was off and there's a hard judder at the pedal. I plan to take the EGR off to clean and also the IAC but the screw head started stripping so that'll have to wait.

I will also try removing the booster vacuum lines to see what else I can find out but maybe someone here has some input/wisdom?

sounds like a nice vac leak . brake pedal feel is only affected by vac in your instance

Comment

+1 vacuum leak. Check the air intake pipe between the MAF sensor and throttle body. You will likely find small cracks in the rubber. As a temporary fix, wrap it with duct tape.

J.

Comment

Working...
      X