New to Mazda!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Mazda!

Hey guys, I'm new here. Just picked up a 2003 Protege ES in 5 speed. This is going to be kind of my beater car to learn how to drive in. Overall, right now it is very easy to drive. Part of the reason may be because clutch is pretty old and there is lots of room for error. The car has 210k miles but everything seems to be running strong.

Just noticed some problems that you guys may give me some advice on:
    - Belt squeaks from time to time, I think more so when it is wet (first thing I did when I got the car was clean out the engine bay a bit). Did some research and sounds like it can be multiple problems (loose tension, water pump, bad belt, etc.) What do you guys think?
    - Some rust in panels/doors - how do you guys recommend me "repair" this or should I even bother since its a beater car?

Also, any common problems I should be aware of especially with my high mileage?

Looking forward to being more active in this forum!

Adjust your belts a little tighter and the squeak will go away. Don't worry about the rust its not worth your time on a car with 210k I have an 01 and the rear qtr's are rotting out too.

92 GT GTX Autox machine Dead and gone

98 ZX2 Currently rusty Need a new car

Comment

Originally posted by jay92gt View Post
      Adjust your belts a little tighter and the squeak will go away. Don't worry about the rust its not worth your time on a car with 210k I have an 01 and the rear qtr's are rotting out too.
      Thanks! I have been looking for a DIY as I personally dont have much experience under the hood yet. I do see two belts, we are looking at the one that is more towards the hood right? (one belt is lower down in the engine compartment and one is higher towards the hood)

Comment

Working...
      X