Spectra5 opinions. > Mazda5???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spectra5 opinions. > Mazda5???

I'm imterested in the Spectra5, I hear it has some "sporty style" and "sporty parts". Such as the tie bar, stiffer suspension, 16" wheels, Front/Side/&Rear lips, and a spoiler. Plus it pulls 138 hp stock. But, I'm wondering if there's anything bad about it that I haven't heard of yet. And, I mean, besides it being a Kia.

And, does it have similarities to the Protege/Pro5 or the Mazda5? It just seems odd to me that people have been talking about protege parts being used in Kias. Does Kia and Mazda have some kind of connection like Ford and Mazda do?

I like the sporty wagon look, don't you?
    -'93 Protege DX 5spd

-'03 Protege5 5spd (My new baby)

From '93 to '03. A ten year jump in less than one year, without using the "NOS" button, now that's what I call fast.

Frist of all, Spectra5 is a KIA no matter what. And yes, it does look very much like the Protege5. Secondly, KIA used to have Mazda engines, but that is no longer the case. Lastly, Mazda5 is going to be a small minivan, just below MPV, so you cannot compare it with Spectra5. As far as the fun factor, Spectra5 is picking up exaclty Protege5 left off, but I bet that Spectra5 will not be as reliable and as fun driving car that Protege5 was.
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Just get a Mazda3 5 door, fully loaded comes in right at $20k, and that's with xenon, changer, moonroof, side air bags, abs, not incl license/destination and whatnot. 17" wheels standard too, if you haven't driven one, go take a test drive. If you want to talk to an owner, pm mazdaracer, he's got one, not sure what body style though.

Comment

his is the sedan, but its still pimp.
        The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

The 3 is a great car, it has it's kinks and quirks like any first year production car, but it's still a quality Mazda vehicle.

The HB 3, only comes as a "Sport" with the 17" wheels, fogs, skirts and 2.3L engine + whatever option ya want...navi, leather, etc etc

I wouldn't trade it for anything else than another Mazda....speed.....6

Comment

I'd love to stick with the Mazda Family. But, financially, I can't. Even "A little under 20K" is way out of my range. I'm allready pushing it by going for the Spectra5 which would be a little over 16K (TT&L + Moonroof). That's why I was asking about Kia being part of Mazda because I'd like to , somehow, stay within the Mazda Family. It's mainly those finance problems that stop me.

Thanks for the opinions, though. Are there any more, anyone?
            -'93 Protege DX 5spd

From '93 to '03. A ten year jump in less than one year, without using the "NOS" button, now that's what I call fast.

Comment

I think I'd rather buy a used p5 if money is tight.
              Dan
              dreesemonkey

Comment

Tried out for used cars. Didn't go so well. I was actually told that I'd be better off going for a new car.
                Last edited by MazPro3; 02-13-2005, 07:14 PM.
                -'93 Protege DX 5spd

Comment

Honestly, if price is the factor to you, KIA might be an aswer. KIA's quality has been improving, but very marginally. Hyundai owns KIA now, but Hyundai quality is much better then KIA's. However, now is the time of the year when you can find some great deals on brand-new Mazda '04 leftovers. President's day sales is always huge, and if dealers still have '04s in stock, they have to get rid of them by then, because they get more and more of '05 stock.
                  "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Wheren't there big crash test concerns about spectras?

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the info Turbonium. So, Hyundai owns Kia now, huh? Interesting. Maybe I shall try out for an '04 Mazda a couple times more. But, I just like the deal at a Kia Dealership here. They offer $3k minimum for any trade-in. "Push, Pull, Drag, or Tow". So, I figured maybe the extra 2k I'd be getting from them than the other dealerships (which would ony offer me 1K) would help me out alot in getting it financed. Any thoughts? 'Cause I'm kidn of clueless on the whole car buying scene.

95ProLeila, dude...I hope you're wrong, ha-ha. I would hate to find out you were right the hard way. That'd surely suck, especially with the drivers here.
                      -'93 Protege DX 5spd

Comment

Yes, definately check for '04 leftovers, no matter where you shop. A few days ago there was a mazda speed miata on ebay for $5k less than sticker, had 66 miles on it! I wish I had the $$$
                        Dan
                        dreesemonkey

Comment

Someone posted this years new car best and worst crash test ratings on i-club and I can't remember what the hell it was that failed multiple times, it was a korean, but I don't know which one. All sorts of probs w/ airbag deployment and intrusion into the footwell.

Comment

Working...
                          X