A/C help/questions for the 929

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C help/questions for the 929

Alright..soo my A/c compressor in the 929 i "thought" wasnt working. but i was told that i needed to jump it, because it didnt have any freon in it from the previous owner. So i doo that, and its spinning! i get freon, charge it up.. with a small can..it doesnt get cool. So i go get a big can, and crank it start to fill it, and its ice cold, but it starts to make a loud clicking noise from the compressor(lke a baseball card in a bicycle spoke).. but it stops when i rev the motor. So i empty the can... and after about 20 minutes.. i stop filling, and notice its not as cold as it was.. its just cool air..But the clicking stopped..

Do i need more freon?

What was that clicking noise?

I heard that noise from one of my BG compressors. It made it at idle from the day I got the car until the day it stopped working. I don't know what it was but it lasted for ~ two years.

You might try vacuuming the system and putting in new oil and refrigerant.
    1990 Protege 4WD
    GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
    ├┼┤
    2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

The clicking is the compressor over heating. Mines on the 93 protege was doing the same thing. I had a bunch of leaks in system so I did a rebuild with a new/rebuild compressor and the noise was heard no more.

Comment

Here is what I did.

Comment

freon doesnt get used up .. it escapes.

adding freon to a system that has leaked and sat for a while NEEDS repairs before refilling.

at a minimum it needs a new drier, seals ,a proper vacuuming and oil or you are just wasting your money on refills and taking a chance on killing the compressor.

overcharging the system can result in the evap core freezing over completely which would give you very little actual cooling

Comment

its fine now, i believe i had a little too much in it, and it froze. but its fine now.

it never leaked, the belt just snapped, and the previous owner never replaced t. i just assumed it didnt work. I ran some oil in it, with the freon also. And it stopped the clicking, which was from it not being lubricated so i was told. but it seems to be fine now, stayed on all day today ICE COLD!

Comment

if you had to add ... it leaked

glad it's working .. you may want to top it off with the cans of sealant/ freon next time it needs topping up ... it will

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaNoob View Post
                if you had to add ... it leaked

glad it's working .. you may want to top it off with the cans of sealant/ freon next time it needs topping up ... it will
                I checked for leaks, with the leak detector kit, and the UV light/glasses... and havent seen any. 17 years of use i think it would have gotten a little low.

Comment

hey dont get me wrong ... i envy that you have working ac really and i'm glad the recharge took ..
                  but ... freon doesnt get used up / wear out/ become less effective.... it leaks. just an fyi

<< certified refrigeration tech

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaNoob View Post
                    hey dont get me wrong ... i envy that you have working ac really and i'm glad the recharge took ..
                    but ... freon doesnt get used up / wear out/ become less effective.... it leaks. just an fyi

<< certified refrigeration tech
                    how should i go about finding this leak?

Comment

keep watching for the dye to leak... problem is it might be @ the evap core which is impossible to see while pressurized

it can take a few days for the leaks to show

Comment

gotcha

Comment

Working...
                        X