Checking out a Mazda6 soon, any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checking out a Mazda6 soon, any tips?

Hey guys, I'm considering getting a first generation Mazda6 as a new daily while the Protege is getting repaired/worked on. Not sure what year exactly or the trim level as I just stopped by it the other day and talked to my girlfriend about getting it. Anyway, the only things written on the windshield was the price, around $4,000, "5-speed" and "needs motor work".

Are there any commonly known problems with these cars? This is a pretty general question at the moment, but I'm hoping to get down there today and check it out, and take it for a test drive if possible.

Also, this is my first time buying a car, so a few tips in this sense would be helpful. How long of a test drive should I take, assuming I can? Where should I start negotiating the price at? Anything I'm forgetting?

ive seen a few of these spin bearings. so its possible the needs engine work is need an engine. cats are known to fail and cause engine damage. they are a pain to change on these due to the tight engine bay.
    turn the wheel all the way to the left and to the right. some will have a clunking noise when doing that. mazdas repair for that is to pull out the column and stuff it full of grease. telescoping feature. when dry the column
    moves up and down and makes that noise. oil leaks from front crank seal, valve covers and timing cover are common. just off the top of my head. if i remember more i will let you know.
    91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

Holy crap, that's more than I've read about on a 6 forum. I'll deffinitely be taking a look under the hood and taking pictures if I can. I'll keep all that in mind, though. Thanks a lot.

Comment

Well, I got over to take a look at it. Doesn't look too bad cosmetically. Two or three very small rust spots on the front edge of the hood, easy fix, interior looked great, but I doubt I'll get a real test drive. The plates and registration tag have been removed. Only took one photo of what was written on the windshield.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	390726_113248082122363_100003115167255_88560_763705213_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	1229736
        And also found a craigslist ad: http://glensfalls.craigslist.org/cto/2699597896.html

Any thoughts guys? I couldn't reach the seller today, and now I have no time left before work, so I'm going to call again tomorrow.
        Last edited by irishkev90; 11-15-2011, 11:06 AM.

Comment

id keep looking. thats a base model with the worst body there is. if your going to get one, dont get the rental car version.

as soon as you said it had motor issues, i knew it was a v6. there beyond known for there precats failing, which leads to spun bearings, or destroyed rings. there's a thread probably once a week with another v6 member with a blown motor.

if i was you, hunt around for a 03-05 sport. try to find one is a 2.3 4 cyl with a mtx.. there not as fast as the v6's. but will still be plenty for you. i had no problem beating a certain members modded EGT on here at the track with mine even with my massive stereo still installed. lol.
          ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
          ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
          What are you driving?

Comment

What do you mean its the worst body? Integrity-wise or just looks? The ad says it has a rough idle after it warms up. If it was bad bearings, it would be rough right from the start. How can you tell if the precats are failing/failed? CEL?

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk.

Comment

as in it has base model bumpers, and no skirts. believe me. if you bought a 6 without them. 2 months later, it will be your biggest regret. the 06+ mazda6 guys even go as far as buying the older 03-05 sport parts and installing them on there newer 6's.

usually the CEL's will give you a good clue if its the pre-cats. check around mazda6club.com and 6crew.com. tons and tons of good info there. and lots covering the precat issues on the v6's.

a basic bolt on mtx v6 mazda6 can dip into the low 14's pretty easily.
              a basic bolt on mtx 4cyl mazda6 is good for a mid 15's.
              ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
              ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
              What are you driving?

Comment

I'm not too worried about modding this thing. I just need something to drive while I'm getting work done on the Protege.
                Last edited by irishkev90; 11-15-2011, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Also, the ad said the rough idle could be from the VVT actuator not working. It looks like it's a $300 part, but easy to replace.

Comment

you have to remove the intake, valve covers , front belts, crank pulley, pass side engine mount and front timing cover to get at them. also remove the timing chains. there is two of them. one per bank. its a bit of work and the timing chain setup has been known to give people fits on reassembly. if you get the valve covers off you might be able to see the vvt gear. there is a notch on the inner section where the cam bolt is. the notch should be centered with the groove. if not they are stuck. also low oil pressure will cause the same thing since these are hydraulic
                    91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

I've been pricing parts that I might need to fix it. Not worth it in my opinion. monoxidechild was right, I'll look elsewhere. Thanks a lot, though, guys

Comment

Working...
                      X