Cost of Ford's EV Battery Pack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost of Ford's EV Battery Pack

At a forum on green technology sponsored by Fortune Magazine, Ford Motor Company CEO Alan Mulally revealed that battery packs for the Focus EV cost between US $12,000 and $15,000 each.

According to Mulally, "When you move into an all-electric vehicle, the battery size moves up to around 23 kilowatt hours, [and] it weighs around 600 to 700 pounds."

While the gasoline-powered Focus normally sells for about US $22,000, the focus EV costs US $39,200 with its 23 kilowatt-hour battery pack.

At the price noted by Mulally, it appears that Ford pays between $522 and $650 a kilowatt-hour for its EVs.

Ford has not revealed projections for anticipated sales of its EV, but has stated that it doesn't need to achieve high volumes since the Focus EV is being built on the same production line as the gasoline-powered version.

For more information, go to:

Happy electron flow!
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Just one reason Mazda wanted to stay away from hybrid and full-electric vehicles. Damn heavy and damn expensive. I knew the battery packs were a pretty penny, but didn't expect that much.

Comment

Yes, and with an EV, assuming one can afford it, it's still necessary to charge the batteries frequently which in most cases requires the burning of fossil fuels. There's no free lunch.

I'm really glad Mazda went the SkyActiv route. It will be interesting to see the ultimate potential that can be achieved with that engine.

Happy electron flow!
      02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
      MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
      MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
      MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
      Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
      Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
      Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
      Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
      Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
      Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
      Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

As I see it, the only way for an EV to be 100% green is to charge it by using green electricity. Like solar panels on the roof of your house or an electric company that utilizes solar, geothermal, wind or water power to generate electricity. I think solar roof panels would be the best investment in the long run because you won't be paying a company to generate electricity for you, so you end up saving money there as well as not paying for gas.

Comment

^^ in most cases you still have your electric company with solar panels, you just sell them what you generate and the difference between what you use and what you sell keeps your bill lower.
          2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
          1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Well, yeah, you still have the electric company, but I was just getting at the cheaper bill thing.

Comment

there is never a true green technology, and the definition of green still undefined, makes its harder. my friend bought a prius for the purely green statement refusing to acknowledge the shortcomings myself and my other car geek friends told her (ex. we said recycling and disposal at the end of life would require more energy and her counter argument was "did they take into account the regenerative braking?"). while i could go on about the greener-than-thou mentality it will only be a matter of time when the cost and benefits of these technologies replace the shortcomings. it wont happen unless early adopters like my friend pave the way for others to take the leap.

on the cost of solar; while i am a fan, it is highly INefficient. the best real world efficiency right now is about 20%...makes it difficult to recoup the cost and real estate required to go solar.

Comment

Working...
              X