Regarding the treatment of our new members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding the treatment of our new members

Over the past few weeks, I have noticed a decreased number of new people posting. I have a theory on this. To start I'll give an example. Say a new person comes in and asks a question that has been aswered 40 million times and they could easily answered there own question by SEARCHING. What happens at that time. The thread gets 2 or 3 posts telling the new person to search, but giving no explanation on how to do it.

I was talking to a fellow CP member the other night about the positives of having as many new people as cp can hold, posting. 1. More donations to dave to pay the bills, and 2. More potential group buy entrees.

I have also been taking note of the currently active users listed on the index page whos names I do not recognize. I have been looking at their profiles and seeing that alot of people have been registered for several months but have 0 posts. Now alot of them, I know, just do not know how to use the forums, understandably, but after emailing a couple of them, I have found out that alot of them just lurk because of the way other noobs get treated. 3 people today have told me that.

Now I have taken it upon myself, for the sake of paying the bills and bringing the group buys back to life, to make myself the Unofficial Welcomer and have been pming people and welcoming them, and getting a great response back from them.

What I ask of the veterans. Please, when a new person posts, instead of harping on them for maybe not using the search function, help them. As far as I know, there is no in depth "how to" on how to use the functions of the forum, and alot of people that come here, are no more computer literate than our grandmothers. I know this because I personally refer people with car problems to Internet forums to learn about their cars who know nothing about computers.

Another request, This one for TheMan. Us veterans all know and love you. We appreciate all that you bring to these forums, and owe alot of the knowledge and reference materials we have to You. We also know how you love to flame noobs and how you have this attitude that is sometimes hard to handle. Now us veterans just brush it off, because we know that we do owe alot to you but, if I could request one thing from you: Anytime a threadstarter has, say, less than 20 or 30 posts, don't post in their thread. People need time to warm up to you and understand the the entity that is TheMan. Im sure that other members of the forum, who are less agitated by clueless noobs, can handle any questions that they may have.

Now Im sorry for the long writeup, but me, along with a few other members thought something needed to be said about this.
    Last edited by Kelly; 02-15-2005, 10:48 PM.
    According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Stfu U N00b!! Do A Search
    93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
    02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
    05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

haha...exactly.
      According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Another suggestion admin, How about a "New Users" forum for all the new people to introduce themselves. It would make a nice Ice breaker for the new people. Or is there already one and Im not seeing it.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Off Topic -- Where the hell is greg (mcorkle) and mazda96protege, they havent posted in awile

On topic -- A new users forum is a really good idea, and most boards have them
          Joe H
          2000 Chevy Impala
          3400 3.4 Liter V6
          Fun Times

Fenderwell Intake w/ K&N Cone,
          U-Bend Delete, Resonator Delete,
          Flowmaster 40, Hi-Flow Cat, Optima Redtop

Comment

on a serious note. I honestly doubt you got emails from 0-post members saying that they don't post b/c of "how unfriendly ppl are towards n00bs". that sounds far fetched and I would only believe if it some n00bs chimed in in this thread.

Second...having taken part in other forums for years, I'd say this forum is THE MOST LAX forum i've ever seen in terms of whats allowed & moderators and stuff. No forum likes people asking the same ****ing questions all the time. Forums that don't care about this kind of thing are the same forums where no administrative presence is felt & they generally are chaotic.

Other forums i've been on, like probetalk are IMO TOO strict about stuff. If you post a thread that the mods think has been covered, they close it immediately. if you try to post another asking the same question you get warned. And I've noted a few times where the posts they close had NOT been addresed in the past which sucks for those who posted em.

Until I see some n00bs voicing their concerns about how they feel about the situation I don't see any need for rules/changes in moderators and the way they do their job.
            93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
            02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
            05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

Im not asking for rule changes, Im just asking for everyone to lay off a little bit. Im asking for permission to post the emails I got right now....like I said the number is 3.

There is nothing needed from the mods here, besides maybe the noob forum, just a little more consideration from the members...There is no reason at all a gtx engine group buy took 30 days to fill up.

Gro, Im just giving suggestions to other members, whether they choose to do it or not is their own choice.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

good luck breaking the be nice news too TheMAN
                Joe H
                2000 Chevy Impala
                3400 3.4 Liter V6
                Fun Times

Fenderwell Intake w/ K&N Cone,
                U-Bend Delete, Resonator Delete,
                Flowmaster 40, Hi-Flow Cat, Optima Redtop

Comment

Also gro, Its mostly only the Car Forums that do this to new people. I have been posting in Fitness forums for a lot longer than Ive been here, and never see comments made to new people that I see here. You would be suprised how many times the same questions get asked at a fitness forums, and how many times the same people answer the same questions over and over and over again, with no negative comments.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

He wont post here.. Besides, I said nothing to disrespect him.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

for instance, there is a member veiwing this thread right now that has been here since 9 of 03 and has 6 posts....??? No one else sees anything wrong with this?

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Another forum that I am on makes you wait 3 days after you join to be able to post.

2000 White Protege LX
                        Sumitomo 195/60HR14
                        2 x Polk DB570 (5"x7")
                        Kenwood KDC-MP522 Head Unit
                        Kenwood KAC-7251 (800 W) Amp
                        Audiobahn AWC10T x 2 Subs
                        Kenwood Music Keg
                        Black Widow Keyless Entry
                        Intake- Custom SRI
                        Clear Corner Lights
                        APC Clear Tail Lights

Comment

I can see reason for doing that, if it were made clear how to "search" for topics.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Thanks kelly..

Comment

Here I'll post an example from a fitness forum i just started posting at. This kid is asking a question that gets asked at least 10 times a day, regarding a sticky that is written in a way that someone not accustomed to dieting would be able to understand. The same people answer the same question over and over. Notice how help is offered in almost every post with no negativity. This is a main reason why there are 12,193 members registered at this site.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Working...
                              X