Next-Gen Console Wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next-Gen Console Wars

The next-gen wars seem to be heating up, especially w/ the media of E3. The look of the PS3 is finally revealed, as well as the XBox 360 and Nintendo Revolution. Just like the current gen it's not only about pure power of the system, it's got a lot to do with timeing, marketing, software support, and pure luck. Things should get interesting over the next few months.

The following is from an IGN article covering E3 events
    Revolution => two-to-three times more powerful than GameCube
    Xbox 360 => 13-15 times more powerful than the first
    PS3 => roughly 35 times more powerful than PlayStation 2

The Revolution is the obvious underdog for the coming up console wars, especially since losing the current one. I'm personally rooting for PS3 but it will be good to have a strong competitor on its heels, side-by-side, or winning. Hopefully my fav series will stay on the console (Tekken, Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry, Burnout, Gran Turismo)
    Also looking forward to Halo, Perfect Dark, and Dead or Alive on Xbox. Lets just hope the Halo staff doesn't slack off and cut out of the single player experience.

Here are some links in case someone wants to read up on the next-gen systems:
    Nintendo Revolution (?no FAQ link?)
    Microsoft XBox 360
    Sony Playstation 3

Next-gen Console comparison

So do you guys have any thoughts on how the console war will turn out or interesting new game info. I still won't buy any of the consoles when they first come out. Too expensive and they will make inprovements and drop the price later. My PS2 & Xbox still have a lot of life left.
    Last edited by loganss; 05-17-2005, 11:32 AM.
    ED
    '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
    Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
    WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

Originally posted by loganss
    The next-gen wars seem to be heating up, especially w/ the media of E3. The look of the PS3 is finally revealed, as well as the XBox 360 and Nintendo Revolution. Just like the current gen it's not only about pure power of the system, it's got a lot to do with timeing, marketing, software support, and pure luck. Things should get interesting over the next few months.

The following is from an IGN article covering E3 events
    Revolution => two-to-three times more powerful than GameCube
    Xbox 360 => 13-15 times more powerful than the first
    PS3 => roughly 35 times more powerful than PlayStation 2

The Revolution is the obvious underdog for the coming up console wars, especially since losing the current one. I'm personally rooting for PS3 but it will be good to have a strong competitor on its heels, side-by-side, or winning. Hopefully my fav series will stay on the console (Tekken, Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry, Burnout, Gran Turismo)
    Also looking forward to Halo, Perfect Dark, and Dead or Alive on Xbox. Lets just hope the Halo staff doesn't slack off and cut out of the single player experience.

Here are some links in case someone wants to read up on the next-gen systems:
    Nintendo Revolution (?no FAQ link?)
    Microsoft XBox 360
    Sony Playstation 3

Next-gen Console comparison

So do you guys have any thoughts on how the console war will turn out or interesting new game info. I still won't buy any of the consoles when they first come out. Too expensive and they will make inprovements and drop the price later. My PS2 & Xbox still have a lot of life left.
    PS3 looks like a sexy george foreman grill. and it uses blue ray discs, and blue tooth controllers... drool...

Comment

Microsoft < *

Comment

if i purchase one it will be xbox, i <3 xbox

but whats with the lack of 4 controllers on all the systems.
        91 Protege LX ---> cardomain site

91 protege lx: threw timing belt

88 323 se, mods: swapping in b6t, 70% complete, $150 takes it.

99.5 VW jetta 2.0

Comment

The Xbox360 will support 4 wireless controllers at once, and I want to think I read that the PS3 will support up to 8 controllers. I'm a die hard Xbox fan, but without Halo3 being a launch title I will probably get the PS3 first (if they come out at the same time). What I saw shown from Sony was very impressive. Especially the Killzone2 trailer, which they claim is all real time play and not CG.

Comment

Originally posted by McCorkle
            The Xbox360 will support 4 wireless controllers at once, and I want to think I read that the PS3 will support up to 8 controllers. I'm a die hard Xbox fan, but without Halo3 being a launch title I will probably get the PS3 first (if they come out at the same time). What I saw shown from Sony was very impressive. Especially the Killzone2 trailer, which they claim is all real time play and not CG.

I just saw that trailer on G4 at lunchtime. Freaking amazing. I can't possibly believe that it's actually real gameplay, though... Looks like the best freaking CG intro I've ever seen. DROOOLLLLL

I'll probably end up getting both the PS3 and Xbox360. I was surprised to hear that Sony is going to have the hardware edge this time around. But from what I've read it sounds like the Xbox360 is going to be much more versitale than the PS3. It sounds more like and entertainment box than just something to play games on.

Damn that killzone trailer was awesome. Can I find it online somewhere???
            Dan
            dreesemonkey

Comment

You can see the trailer on ign.com.

Comment

Ill get the xbox just becuase its comming out a year before. A freakin year that ps3 better really step it up. I would like to point out that the xbox360 is ready now just there waiting for there 40+ launch games to be made.

I doubt sony will have the power advantage, if it dose it will be very minimal. I would like to point out that apple decided agaist the cell processor for there G5 instead going with the chipset in the xbox 360 becuase its more stable and efficent/powerful.

Power really wont matter anymore with the new consoles. Its all gonna come down to who has the better software support. Current consoles have plenty of power but no software developers put any work into there games graficly becuase it will bankrupt them, most 3rd parties are out of buisness.
                Last edited by zerocover; 05-18-2005, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Well it is looking like PS3 will come out mearly a few months after the Xbox360. From what I have been reading, the PS3 is going to be that much better. Think of it in terms of the current Xbox being better then the PS2. I really look forward to the games in a few years where developers are pushing the capabilities of the consoles. Just think of how much improvement in graphical quality you have seen on both consoles considering what their launch titles looked like.

Comment

Originally posted by McCorkle
                    Well it is looking like PS3 will come out mearly a few months after the Xbox360. From what I have been reading, the PS3 is going to be that much better. Think of it in terms of the current Xbox being better then the PS2. I really look forward to the games in a few years where developers are pushing the capabilities of the consoles. Just think of how much improvement in graphical quality you have seen on both consoles considering what their launch titles looked like.
                    I dunno if i trust sony to launch the ps3 a few months after xbox 360. If they do it will probably be a rush product and i definetly wouldn't buy it. Glad to see wireless controllers are a standard for these two console.

So what's gonna happen to mario and his crew. I haven't heard much info about it. Saw some pics and know they finally switch over to cd-type media. Maybe they'll go the SEGA route and we'll get a game w/ mario and sonic in it. i doubt it.

The new XBox live could be pretty good too. Sony is really slacking in the online community thing.
                    ED

Comment

Originally posted by zerocover
                      Ill get the xbox just becuase its comming out a year before. A freakin year that ps3 better really step it up. I would like to point out that the xbox360 is ready now just there waiting for there 40+ launch games to be made.

I doubt sony will have the power advantage, if it dose it will be very minimal. I would like to point out that apple decided agaist the cell processor for there G5 instead going with the chipset in the xbox 360 becuase its more stable and efficent/powerful.

Power really wont matter anymore with the new consoles. Its all gonna come down to who has the better software support. Current consoles have plenty of power but no software developers put any work into there games graficly becuase it will bankrupt them, most 3rd parties are out of buisness.
                      Well no one likes to talk about theoretical processing power, but the PS3 has about double the overall floating point processing power of (2.18Tflops vs. 1Tflop) the 360. Like McCorckle said, it more or less equates to the gap between current xbox vs ps2, except this time it's flipped around.

I've heard that Xbox360 will be out for this xmas... I'm hoping PS3 comes out shortly after. I want both! My credit cards will never forgive me....
                      Dan
                      dreesemonkey

Comment

bump
                        XBox 360 is almost here.
                        ED

Comment

i'm rooting for the revolution even tho i think nintendo's gameplan is IDIOTIC ever since the N64 days.

but did you see their new controller? I think tis stupid they are "relying" on that controller to be the only means to play their games but it'll sure open up developers to devleop some crazy-ass unique games.

U can tilt & twist the controller in whatever direction & on a FPS ur view will change accordingly...that **** would be pretty kew if u ask me. But the lack of buttons will really **** most developers from developing ANY games for the revolution.

Otherwise, I'm rewting for the Xbox b/c I hate sony's shoddy dog**** products & i highly doubt the PS3 will be much different. Its DVD-ROM drive will probably burn out after 2 years of use just like their POS PS2 one did. Meanwhile my bought-on-the-day-it-came-out Xbox's drive is workign fine still.
                          93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
                          02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
                          05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

Originally posted by loganss
                            I dunno if i trust sony to launch the ps3 a few months after xbox 360. If they do it will probably be a rush product and i definetly wouldn't buy it. Glad to see wireless controllers are a standard for these two console.

So what's gonna happen to mario and his crew. I haven't heard much info about it. Saw some pics and know they finally switch over to cd-type media. Maybe they'll go the SEGA route and we'll get a game w/ mario and sonic in it. i doubt it.

The new XBox live could be pretty good too. Sony is really slacking in the online community thing.

Once and for all PS3 > XBOX 360

just like PS2 > XBOX

Trust sony my friend. And you have it backwards. Rush product would have been if Sony released it during this month like the 360. They are going to tweak their machine and let Microsoft do what they want to do but in March when they are expecting the PS3 it will blow the 360 out of the water.

P.S. Mario will never be on another platform. He will die when Nintendo dies.

Look what psp has done to the nintendo DS. They will do the same to the 360.

Peace, Santos

Comment

I just played Call of Duty 2 for the 360. I am very impressed.

On a side note, I couldn't even buy an extra wireless controller because they were sold out. This is getting out of hand.
                              Last edited by McCorkle; 11-18-2005, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X