Next-Gen Console Wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loganss
    For some reason it just doesn't seem like the next generation of videogames based on this xbox360 launch. All I'm hearuing is that the games look great. Ok ... Is that all that makes up a game? If all the games look great but don't make any real advancements in gameplay and presentation, how much better is the game.

I wonder if anyone has written an article comparing each console generation's launch titles.

Basically even though the hardware maybe the next generation the software definetly is not. OMG look we get prettier picture ... so what. Games play just the same.

And sure we can give the excuse of it's a launch title so it doesn't use the systems true potential. I remember the jump to polygons Battle Arena Toshinden, and the use of different gameplay Tobal for the ps1.

Where's that jump? Until there is why shell out so much money.

and how was the ps2 a "next generation console" when it FIRST came out? there were **** for launch titles... all the games were lame... you need to WAIT a few months before the rest of the GOOD games come out before you form an opinion
    TheMAN
    '01 BJFP MT
    '05 BK3P HB AT

Come see the Protege FAQ

No, I don't own an MP5.
    No, I don't drive a Protege 5.

Originally posted by R240NAII:
    It's always, "hi, I'm 16, a flaming pissant, and have my parents hard-earned money that I'd like to blow, hold my hand and walk me through a course on driftnng/boosting/driving, but remember that I'm not intelligent enough to understand anything and will repeatedly ask the same basic, moronic questions, over and over again".

What happens when you send me PMs such as:
    -Sending me a stupid question (no common sense, no logic, impractical, etc)
    -Sending me a question that can be found searching or in the FAQ
    -Sending me an illegible question (ie: bad grammar)
    No you WON'T get flamed, you'll get ignored. The results will vary if you send flames/insults

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
      and how was the ps2 a "next generation console" when it FIRST came out? there were **** for launch titles... all the games were lame... you need to WAIT a few months before the rest of the GOOD games come out before you form an opinion
      You seem to have miss-read that quote of mine. I never mentioned that the Ps2 seemed like a next gen console at launch. I mentioned the ps1.

The main point I tried to convey was that with these new systems coming out the "next generation" jump is not as closely tied to the hardware as it was in past "next generation" consoles. For example going from SNES to N64 was a leap in next gen hardware that was immediately noticebale in games. Xbox to Xbox360 is not. It's not like the jump from using sprites to polygons.
      ED
      '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
      Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
      WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

Comment

the ps2 had SSX. I bought midnight club on launch and god that game sucked ballz. I wish i bought SSX b/c that game was addicting.

& yes the PS1 was definitely a huge jump. It came out 9/9/95 and back then we had what? the saturn that no one owned? And the SNES which had a lack of games coming out. PSX's graphics were still grainy and ****ty but it offered the first experience of genuinely THREE DIMENSIONAL games that were good. Twisted metal, ridge racer, toshinden.
        93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
        02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
        05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

Video Game Console wikipedia chart

^^ For those that can't remember all the different consoles that launched in US in elsewhere. Doesn't include some add-on systems such as the genesis cd add on. ??? Damn forgot the name of that thing.
          ED

Comment

Video Game Console wikipedia chart

^^ For those that can't remember all the different consoles that launched in US in elsewhere. Doesn't include some add-on systems such as the genesis cd add on. ??? Damn forgot the name of that thing.
            So the SEGA CD addon and 32x is not worth mentioning? Thats a crappy information source then!
            **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
            95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

Originally posted by Tazman2
              So the SEGA CD addon and 32x is not worth mentioning? Thats a crappy information source then!
              Yeah unfortunately it's not complete, but it is compact.
              If you know of another that's more complete and doesn't take hours to sift through all the info post up.
              ED

Comment

Revolution info:
                Nintendo's innovation not power statement
                Controller info
                Controller use Teaser video

This stuff on revolution.ign.com sounds really interesting. I can't wait to see the games. And there are hints that the console would launch at $150 or below. Sounds good to me!!

I like nintendos game plan. Just have to wait and see how they take advantage of their unique controller. Much more appealing than an HDtv enabled game.
                ED

Comment

Yeah unfortunately it's not complete, but it is compact.
                  If you know of another that's more complete and doesn't take hours to sift through all the info post up.
                  Yeah let me try to find that link/memory again... *shakes head and hears a rattle noise*
                  **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
                  95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

Working...
                  X