I feel really bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel really bad

My friend has an '00 Civic DX that he swapped a B16a2 (USDM Si engine) into a few years back. For the past couple of months he's been working on a massive N/A buildup of the engine, and it's finally close to done.

Before I tell you how much he's spent so far, I'll try and remember all of the **** he's bought for it.

Bolt-ons:
    - CAI
    - Catback
    - Header
    ^^ All were done previous to his actual buildup began ^^
    - Skunk2 Intake manifold
    - Spoon sports throttle body bored to 70mm
    - UDP
    - Cam gears

Not-so bolt ons:
    - complete forged internals (except for the crank), balanced and blueprinted, currently 12.5cr
    - some stage 2 cam
    - PNP head, 5-angle valve job
    - ACT (I think) stage 2 clutch
    - Hondata ECU
    - SAFC
    - Some fancy expensive-ass injectors

I think I'm missing quite a few things, but you get the point. Big freaking buildup, and expensive as hell. He can now rev it to 9k, and vtec engages at 7k (they moved it up to smooth out the power curve).

You can't even feel vtec engage, but holy god can you ever hear it. It's so ****ing loud, it sounds like someone is grinding a steel pipe right next to your ear. The exhaust itself isn't that loud, but once you get to vtec it's ALL you can hear. I honestly can't tell if the car is any faster or not because I'm too worried about my ears falling off my head to pay attetion.

Now for the reason I feel bad. He's put in about $6k to the car, excluding any labor charges and it only put down 170fwhp. The tuner he took it to said that with a better header (apparently the primaries on this one are too small) and a hi-flow cat he'll see 200whp. But still. That sucks.

I'm not busting on honda's at all, they have unreal potential... But how do you say to your friend that he just wasted $6k? He didn't get anything dynoed before he did all the mods, but I'd expect him to have had about 125-130whp. That's an expensive gain of 40whp! He should have just turboed it for $5k and been putting down about 250whp, instead.
    Dan
    dreesemonkey

Well, if he drag races, yeah, that sucks... but I bet that engine is perfect for road racing and auto cross. HP isnt everything about an engine.

Comment

One of my friends bought an Integra GSR for $300...swapped in the Civic Type R 1.6, turboed it, bought the AEM stuff, etc. The car was pretty nice just with the B16 but he just had to turbo it, and now he's left with a loud, unreliable car. Sure, it ran a 14 @ 101 but now it needs a head gasket and other stuff. And he's spent about $8,000 on the car.

I've spent about $3,000 on mine, including the car, and it doesn't let me down. So it's not as fast as his Integra is(when it runs right), it's pretty quick and I beat a Civic "SiR" by a good 2 car lengths doing a 30 punch up to about 65 last night. Considering I have merely $202 spent on mechanical mods($197 on the pacesetter header and $5 on my custom test pipe), I think I'm doing pretty good.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
      On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
      My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

lol $6k on an engine build up is alot? lmao. what rock have you been living under?
        he has a brand new 1.6L engine putting out 190hp at the crank from a 1.6. I call that impressive try that with the mazda 1.6, i'll see how much money you are going to spend.

i got ~4K in my car, and its still not tuned, and barely puts out 200hp. with 150K on the engine...

Comment

Originally posted by Kreator
          lol $6k on an engine build up is alot? lmao. what rock have you been living under?
          he has a brand new 1.6L engine putting out 190hp at the crank from a 1.6. I call that impressive try that with the mazda 1.6, i'll see how much money you are going to spend.

i got ~4K in my car, and its still not tuned, and barely puts out 200hp. with 150K on the engine...
          $6k is a lot for what he's got out of it, yes. And while it may be a good motor for autox, he's never going to do that.

I wouldn't try that with a mazda 1.6l because it's impratical and a stupid way to waste money. My point is he could have spent the same amount on a reliable turbo setup and be making 80hp more. It may be worth it for a serious road racer, but not for a street-racing wannabe.

I'm just glad it's not my money, I'd be incredibly depressed about the whole thing.
          Dan
          dreesemonkey

Comment

well he had to go into this having an "idea" of what to expect when he got done. so hopefully he got what he wanted out of it.
            proud owner of a 13lb 5 ounce porker baby boy. no longer the proud owner of the car below, it now belongs to 95pro.

Comment

Originally posted by Prototender
              well he had to go into this having an "idea" of what to expect when he got done. so hopefully he got what he wanted out of it.
              Yea, I guess he's happy with it, and that's all that matters.

He said the header he wants to get is about a grand. Ouch
              Dan
              dreesemonkey

Comment

Not the way I would go about things, but none the less I suppose those are pretty decent n/a gains. I'd be interested in hearing what he runs at the track though. That is where he can tell if it was a waste or not.

Comment

You guys have no idea how lucky you are. Aftermarket Mazda headers are very cheap compared to other vehicles.

Are there any headers available for the SOHC?
                  Last edited by Silentbob343; 07-18-2005, 03:40 PM.
                  2005 Mazda 3

Comment

Originally posted by Silentbob343
                    You guys have no idea how lucky you are. Aftermarket Mazda headers are very cheap compared to other vehicles.

Are there any headers available for the SOHC?
                    Unfortuntly they SUCK (pacesetter of course!) ass!
                    **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
                    95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

call me retarded. i don't mind, but the pacesetter headers say they're for dohc, but first gen...thought all 1st gens were sohc...and I'm pretty sure they don't have the same angles that my car has..
                      proud owner of a 13lb 5 ounce porker baby boy. no longer the proud owner of the car below, it now belongs to 95pro.

Comment

Originally posted by Prototender
                        call me retarded. i don't mind, but the pacesetter headers say they're for dohc, but first gen...thought all 1st gens were sohc...and I'm pretty sure they don't have the same angles that my car has..
                        Where do you think your BP came from? Noob. lol j/k
                        Probably half of all 1st gens have the BP in them, and yes it is the same BP you have - DOHC.

Comment

Why does he have an SAFC and Hondata??
                          Eat ****.

Comment

If your gonna do a NA Setup on a 4 banger, you need to go the extra mile and get ITB's , and get a real car.. like the ideal 4 banger to do a NA setup on would probobly be a RSX-S , 210 Hp Vtec right from the start
                            Joe H
                            2000 Chevy Impala
                            3400 3.4 Liter V6
                            Fun Times

Fenderwell Intake w/ K&N Cone,
                            U-Bend Delete, Resonator Delete,
                            Flowmaster 40, Hi-Flow Cat, Optima Redtop

Comment

Im spending over $3000 CDN on my BP rebuild (including the actual BP) and i'd be satisfied if i put down 120 at the wheels

****s expensive man, cause the little stuff adds up...
                              Especially the machining, im spending over $1000 on just labour...
                              hes not doing bad... he's putting out over 100 hp per litre AT THE WHEELS

If the motor is still streetable, IMHO i'd say he's sucessful... remember, its just a 1.6L vtec or no vtec...

He shoulda known before he even started the project, that boosting is cheaper.
                              Ask gen1gt, that guy has spent over $1000 in just dyno runs!

NA is for a serious serious enthusiast.
                              Even ask martin doing his BP swap in his second gen, he spent a fair amount of money too, and hes also using oem stuff

Originally posted by funkdaddysmack
                              My friend has an '00 Civic DX that he swapped a B16a2 (USDM Si engine) into a few years back. For the past couple of months he's been working on a massive N/A buildup of the engine, and it's finally close to done.

Before I tell you how much he's spent so far, I'll try and remember all of the **** he's bought for it.

Bolt-ons:
                              - CAI
                              - Catback
                              - Header
                              ^^ All were done previous to his actual buildup began ^^
                              - Skunk2 Intake manifold
                              - Spoon sports throttle body bored to 70mm
                              - UDP
                              - Cam gears

Not-so bolt ons:
                              - complete forged internals (except for the crank), balanced and blueprinted, currently 12.5cr
                              - some stage 2 cam
                              - PNP head, 5-angle valve job
                              - ACT (I think) stage 2 clutch
                              - Hondata ECU
                              - SAFC
                              - Some fancy expensive-ass injectors

I think I'm missing quite a few things, but you get the point. Big freaking buildup, and expensive as hell. He can now rev it to 9k, and vtec engages at 7k (they moved it up to smooth out the power curve).

You can't even feel vtec engage, but holy god can you ever hear it. It's so ****ing loud, it sounds like someone is grinding a steel pipe right next to your ear. The exhaust itself isn't that loud, but once you get to vtec it's ALL you can hear. I honestly can't tell if the car is any faster or not because I'm too worried about my ears falling off my head to pay attetion.

Now for the reason I feel bad. He's put in about $6k to the car, excluding any labor charges and it only put down 170fwhp. The tuner he took it to said that with a better header (apparently the primaries on this one are too small) and a hi-flow cat he'll see 200whp. But still. That sucks.

I'm not busting on honda's at all, they have unreal potential... But how do you say to your friend that he just wasted $6k? He didn't get anything dynoed before he did all the mods, but I'd expect him to have had about 125-130whp. That's an expensive gain of 40whp! He should have just turboed it for $5k and been putting down about 250whp, instead.

Comment

Working...
                              X