Any Good Travel Jobs???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Good Travel Jobs???

I have an uncle who is going to be a merchant mariner. Unfortunately, if they go some where overseas and dock, they are not able to leave ship. They work their asses off for a few months, and then have a few months off. Money is good and he is going to do some traveling with it. He is not rich by any means, but I admire his passion for adventure. He has been to Ireland 3 times and Mexico once, as well as various parts of the U.S. I was wondering what are other good traveling jobs. I thought of nursing, but talk to a lot at work who either love it or hate it with a passion and feel stuck in it (because they are accustomed to making so much money that any thing else would not be worth doing). I know there is the military, but for a 31 year old, I wouldn't be of much use as an 18 or 20 year old. It's like the NBA or NFL, they figure once you reach a certain age, you hit your prime. I don't know if the military is for me any ways. I would be doing push ups all day from laughing at the drill seargant yelling at me. Any one know of any cool travel jobs? Just curious. Getting sick of this town.
    2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
    KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
    Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
    Groundkit

Travel agent??
    Certain drilling companies send their people all over. A few of my teachers when I was in school had gone to central, and south america, europe etc...
    Flight attendant??
    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Nursing works. If you can get over the idea that emptying a bedpan is disgusting (to most people). Cool thing is most places have 12-hour shifts. 3 on, 4 off. They pay extra for nights. Major downside is that you have to work weekends. And you can always pick up extra shifts. And most of your fellow employees are women. :D (Off course, the same could be said of flight attendants, and they don't have the school requirements. But, it's hard to work after 40 or so. And in both they will assume that you are gay).

Oh, the other cool thing about being a nurse is that you get to see a lot of naked people. OK, that's only really cool for about 5% of the patients, but ya take what you can get. :D
      David Avard
      '90 Protege LX (STS-prepped)
      '89 Civic Si (STS-prepped)
      '02 Altima SE (14.164 @ 97.7mph stock)

Comment

i don't know if the merchant marines have a cutoff, but isn't the US military standard that you can't enlist over the age of 27? i mean, for those who have BEEN in can certainly re-enlist into the military for a longer committment of time, but i thought after the age of 27, they wouldn't take anyone. speaking from the experience that my girlfriend shares with me, you can get a CNA certification (which i thought you already had) and work with that, however, it's not going to be that high paying after a while (10 to 15 tops around here). going to school to get your RN or even further into your BSN or possibly even a Nurse Practitioner, the money is REAL good. but unfortuneatly, once you're in, it's SO hard to get out. ANY heathcare facility is going to over work their aides, nurses, and doctors anyway they feasibly can until the person will no longer bend over backwards. depends on what you want bro. as far as traveling, there's always PeaceCore and other organizations of the sort, where you volunteer overseas in developing countries. aside from that, being a flight attendant or an airline pilot has it's benefits. but even pilots have an FAA mandatory retirement age of 55 or 60 i believe. who knows... but good luck
        peace

Comment

Working...
        X