Wish Me Luck (Sugery)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wish Me Luck (Sugery)

As a matter very personal to me, I do not share this experience with this forum with a light heart. Around 7 years ago (I'm 22 now), my vision started to progressively suffer from a condition known as Strabismus Extropia.. the cause of an outward slant of one eye (the other variant is Strabismus Intropia.. or inward slant/cross eye). Most people know this as 'lazy eye'. It is a condition whose causes are not known and in most cases solveable in early childhood. Given the late stages in which I've been affected by this disorder, treatment is not very traditional and not always fool proof. Adult strabismus surgery is generally avoided by most adults given levels of uncertainty in results and the level of adaptation the patient must endure to regain motor skills. This surgery mostly involves detatching a pre-determined amount of a person's 12 eye muscles from the eye ball itself and reattatching them to readjust the axis of each eye. Essentially, linning the eyes up straight.

This coming Thursday, I will undergo this procedure to correct my vision and hopefully gain the confidence, vison and motor skills I have been deprived of. I share this in hopes that others like me will not be frowned upon for having a lazy eye.

The challanges this disorder faces are numberous. People stare, people get wierded out by it, and sometimes it makes others uncomfortable. It is not their fault, it's just something that isn't very widespread. Only about 3% of those born in America actually develop this condition. With the guidance of one of the Premier doctors and surgeons in Adult Strabismus surgery, I will overcome this hurdle. What ever the results of this turn out to be will definately change my life. And as a step forward, I can honestly say I've had to meet this challange with great trepedation. I truely don't know what the future has instore along the lines of my readjustment.

The good news, and for possibly those you may know with this disorder, recovery is very positive and as being an outpatient oriented recovery, usually leaves the patient under a short recovery time of a week. Here is the before shot, and soon enough.. I will have a couple after shots for you guys. Wish me luck !
    Kevin
    Attached Files

Goodluck Kevin! you will do fine man and you can only benifit from this surgery!

again goodluck and you best get on here ASAP the off topic section is going to get out of hand if you are not here posting

Comment

Good luck Bro! I went to school with a kid who had a lazy eye. It was hard to tell when and if he was talking to you and half the time I ended up ignoring him because of this. It must have been very fustrating to him.
      2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

Originally posted by Marc93lx
        Good luck Bro! I went to school with a kid who had a lazy eye. It was hard to tell when and if he was talking to you and half the time I ended up ignoring him because of this. It must have been very fustrating to him.
        Although the impact 'may' have been adverse to him, I'm sure he found ways to manage as I've had to. Try driving around with one eye covered. One eye remains focused and the other eye delivers strictly peripheral vision.. essentially useless. I don't need eye glasses as I have maintained 20/20 vision (if not better). Even still.. I drive like a maniac.. but have never been all that good with playing video games. This will definately change for me. Marc, you weren't a bad person for it. I know I joke with those around me about it.. subjecting them to a starring contest and adding the provision they can never laugh or crack a smile. To date, no one has beaten me . And I also take comfort in kind spirited jokes and nicknames.. "Eyes" "Lazy White Guy" and my favorite.. "Blue Eyes".. pun meaning, 'One eye blue(blew) this-a-way, one eye blue(blew) that-a-way'.
        I don't feel bad for people like me or those with crippling disabilities (although mine is argueably more social than physical). We manage and adapt to what we can do... and leave the rest as unknown pleasures. I guess it matters the company you keep as well. My clinically blind friend is world-traveled, has a bachelors degree and smarter than most 40 year olds (and more mature too). It's funny, he's done this by the age of 23 and feels no sorrows and makes no appologies to anyone for his bad eye sight. It's all a matter of how you look at the world.. pun intended .
        Kevin

Comment

My best friend has a bit of a lazy eye...it's never bothered me and I don't think it bothers him much. He also drives like a maniac.

That said, I hope everything goes well.

I really want to get Lazik done on my eyes as my vision isn't the best. Sure, I've got glasses, and while my eyes evidently haven't changed in the past year, it just aggravates me. As a kid my eyes were great, then around 9th grade my vision just took a nose dive. I should get this done rather than letting my eyes get use to the glasses and get progressively worse.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
          On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
          My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin
            Although the impact 'may' have been adverse to him, I'm sure he found ways to manage as I've had to. Try driving around with one eye covered. One eye remains focused and the other eye delivers strictly peripheral vision.. essentially useless. I don't need eye glasses as I have maintained 20/20 vision (if not better). Even still.. I drive like a maniac.. but have never been all that good with playing video games. This will definately change for me. Marc, you weren't a bad person for it. I know I joke with those around me about it.. subjecting them to a starring contest and adding the provision they can never laugh or crack a smile. To date, no one has beaten me . And I also take comfort in kind spirited jokes and nicknames.. "Eyes" "Lazy White Guy" and my favorite.. "Blue Eyes".. pun meaning, 'One eye blue(blew) this-a-way, one eye blue(blew) that-a-way'.
            I don't feel bad for people like me or those with crippling disabilities (although mine is argueably more social than physical). We manage and adapt to what we can do... and leave the rest as unknown pleasures. I guess it matters the company you keep as well. My clinically blind friend is world-traveled, has a bachelors degree and smarter than most 40 year olds (and more mature too). It's funny, he's done this by the age of 23 and feels no sorrows and makes no appologies to anyone for his bad eye sight. It's all a matter of how you look at the world.. pun intended .
            Kevin
            Yeah this kid was really smart too. He took all the advanced classes.

Oh and I drive like a maniac too yet my vision is just fine. Im just an asshole on the road.
            2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

Good luck Kevin. It's good to see that you have a positive outlook on it instead of a just sit back and whatever happens happens attitude.
              1991 Mazda 323 GTR Sedan
              MODS:
              GTR motor swap, F&R Familia strut bars, MX-3 Rear Lower strut tie bar, GTX front bumper, GTX grill, EDM headlights & corners, EDM 323 rear garnish, EDM spoiler, EGT sideskirts, MX-3 seats, GTX steering wheel, EGT glass sunroof, WRX hood scoop (functional!!), and other things that take too much space to list.....
              TO DO LIST:
              EDM/JDM rear bumper
              EDM/JDM power folding mirrors
              Repaint car

Comment

Originally posted by Marc93lx

I knew a guy like that, I once asked him which eye I should be looking at and he got really offended... I wasn't trying to be funny it was just a little frustrating when talking to him. Best of luck with your surgery Kevin
                '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
                '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
                '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
                '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
                '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
                '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

Good luck, Kevin.

What's the recovery process like?

Comment

Good luck bro! I am sure that everything will go smoothly
                    -------------------------
                    '91 LX
                    '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
                    -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
                    well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
                      Good luck, Kevin.

a lot of masterbating and eating icecream....

no but for real good luck kevin :D

Comment

Good luck, looking forward to the "after" pictures!

Comment

good luck dude, best wishes on the recovery
                          "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                          -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                          *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                          172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                          New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

good luck man hope everything goes ok
                            Mazstyle> :suckie: < Other Cars

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
                              Good luck, Kevin.

Recovery medical-wise is eye drops 4 times a day.. i think something with an anti-biotic and some sort of pain killer? I really haven't been updated on these matters. The surgery is like they cut the eye muscles loose, reattatch with adjustable sutures.. go in the next day and get a final alignment with a local anestetic and they tighten the sutures.

The unknown factor to me is like learning to see again. My brain cancels out the information one eye transmits and turns that information into strictly peripheral blur. With my eyes getting realigned, my brain will in effect for the first time in years get the same image information through each eye. This is neither something medical science has yet documented in an authoritative sense or the doctor himself can tell me what it's like. The surgery itself, the recovery.. I'm not worried at all about that. It's the adjustment of having 'normal' eye sight again I'm not sure about. I look forward to this.

And thank you guys, this kind of feedback keeps my will strong to commit to getting this thing done. Kinda like when you try and quit smoking, you tell everyone you're going to quit and their encouragement makes it possible .
                              Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X