X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

your VIN and car keys

from a now closed thread:

Originally posted by TheMan
    if you think VIN etching is a "wonderful security feature", you are greatly mistaken and misled by the industry... with the VIN visible in plain sight (including the one on your dashboard), a professional theif can easily go to a dealer, pay a crooked worker to have him make a key, then come back and jack your car... not only that the VIN gives a full vehicle history and where you live (of course the license plates already give that info, but slightly harder to get... keyword "slightly")... so think twice before putting the VIN all over the car... and if you do want some sort of security etching... get the ones that have a custom/special code that only the agency will have info of... it's a lot safer
    Dateline just did a special where they wrote down VINs from a buch of cars and at 6 out of 10 dealers they got keys for the car without ever being asked for ID.

Apparently the NYC affiliate even managed to get keys to a New Jersey police cruiser that way!
    --JJB--
    '02 Silver Protegé5 - 5sp - no performance mods, no plans for them
    Kenwood Z919 -- Polk Audio speakers
    16" alloys w/ 205/50 Bridgestone RE750 (summer)
    15" steels w/ 195/55 Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 (winter)

Moon roof - wind deflector - variable intermittent wipers - electrochromic mirror w/ temp & compass
    Winter/beater car: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 182k on it

or even safer a strip of vinyl, well somewhat safer
    No more protege, Mx-3 now...Only known BP powered Mx-3 in Nova Scotia

Comment

I installed a piece of laminated card to match the color of my dashboard a long time ago... to cover the VIN plate on my dashboard

oh... and to get your panties in a bunch and hate our government more for making stupid laws:
      -in Europe and Japan, license plate info is CLOSELY held in secret and is only accessible by government officials/law enforcement agencies (not true here... many people can access the info, including parking companies!)
      -in Europe and the rest of the world (except Canada/Mexico), the VIN plate is not required to be on the dashboard but is to be mounted on the firewall (just as tamper proof but more theft deterant because it's not easily visible!)
      Last edited by TheMAN; 10-24-2003, 09:51 PM.
      TheMAN
      '01 BJFP MT
      '05 BK3P HB AT

Come see the Protege FAQ

No, I don't own an MP5.
      No, I don't drive a Protege 5.

Originally posted by R240NAII:
      It's always, "hi, I'm 16, a flaming pissant, and have my parents hard-earned money that I'd like to blow, hold my hand and walk me through a course on driftnng/boosting/driving, but remember that I'm not intelligent enough to understand anything and will repeatedly ask the same basic, moronic questions, over and over again".

What happens when you send me PMs such as:
      -Sending me a stupid question (no common sense, no logic, impractical, etc)
      -Sending me a question that can be found searching or in the FAQ
      -Sending me an illegible question (ie: bad grammar)
      No you WON'T get flamed, you'll get ignored. The results will vary if you send flames/insults

Comment

somebody said something about shaved door handles and locks.... huuhh what!!

if not that then different keys for the trunk and ignition to help deture
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

yup olll 12gauge will be waiting for all who step up with keys to get bucked down..
          lol
          photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Working...
          X