New Jersey Devils Retires Scott Stevens' Number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Jersey Devils Retires Scott Stevens' Number

Tonight, my wife, son and I went to the Continental Airlines Arena in the NJ Meadowlands to see the Devils play the top-rated Carolina Hurricanes. All the males are patted down before they can enter the stadium. A good move in my estimation (and no, I didn't feel that my privacy was being violated but rather that our security was being enhanced). Before the game, a ceremony was held honoring Scott Stevens and retiring his number (4). Stevens had been a member of the Devil's team from 1991 until 2003 or early 2004 and had been the team captain for a number of years. The stadium was packed with his many fans who had come to say goodbye to this well-liked player. It's a measure of the regard in which Stevens is held by the team management and his fellow players that his number is being permanently retired by the team. Stevens was accompanied by his wife, his three children and his parents and they along with the rest of us were quite moved by the experience. Stevens, who played on the All Star team 13 times, is a Canadian who grew up in Kitchener, Ontario.

After the ceremony, the Devils crushed the Hurricanes 3-0. Martin Brodeur, the Devil's goalie executed the shutout with his usual skill. A great game and a great evening and a good time was had by all.

Happy Motoring!
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Thats pretty cool.......
    "mess with the mazda...... mess with the chick......."mazdachic"

I don't go looking for no trouble but somehow the trouble always finds me, Don't make me have you in the trauma center With your momma crying cause her only son is dying, She just don't know it's just your karma catching up cause I'm a Drama Setter

Comment

Luck bastard Mike, if I still lived up there I definitely would have been. So many great memories of Scott Stevens on the team. Remember their cup year when he knocked out Kariya and Lindross out of the playoffs. I used to have season tickets when I lived in NY. I go to every game that they play the panthers since the panthers arena is only 20 minutes from me. Congrats for going and seeing them send off one of the truly best defensemen to play the game.
      2000 DX, Blue
      Eibach Pro-Kit, MSP Struts, 16" Kosei's on Honkook Ventus HR-II's(205-45-16), MSP Exhaust, Injen CAI, MSP Strut Tower Bar, NGK Wires
      2 JL Audio 10w3-d4's in a sealed box, Rockford 500s amp, 2 6x9 Pioneer Premier 4-ways, 2 6x8 Kenwood Excelon 3-ways, Rockford 301x amp, Pioneer Premier DEH-P650, Dynamat in some fun places.....

Comment

Matt,
        Yes, I remember that time you mention. A truly incredible performance and, as you say, one of the great memories we're left with of this outstanding player. Being a fan yourself, I'm sorry you couldn't have been there last night to also celebrate his departure.

It's good that you get to see at least some of the Devils' games where you're living now.

Happy Motoring!
        Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
        Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

I'm curious, why do they pat down the males but not the females?

Comment

The females are not "patted down" but their pocket books or bags or any other containers they might be carrying are searched. Since both the pat down and the search take place out in the open in front of the stadium entrance doors and in full view of all entering patrons, I'm guessing that there is great reluctance on the part of management to subject women to that kind of rather intimate search in full view of the general public. Also, I would imagine that few women would willingly subject themselves to that kind of search just to enter a sporting arena.

I also suppose the theory is that men are more likely to be aggressive, violent and hostile than are women and would be more likely bring weapons or bombs inside. Of course, though there are more male terrorists than there are female, in today's world even some females are getting into the act. So I guess you can't guard against every threat without taking extreme measures.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

Working...
            X