Horrific crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horrific crash

On May 3, 1998.. Japanese racing star Tetsuya Ota was involved in a chain reaction collision during a GT championship race. Ota was trapped in his car for more than 50 seconds while exposed to 800-degree temperatures. There was no safety crew coming

Part 1: http://videos.streetfire.net/player....C-4B1200858D60

Part 2: http://videos.streetfire.net/hottest...6AFD021FC0.htm

Amazing! The guy lived, sued the track and won the settlement.
    Last edited by Intruder; 03-04-2006, 04:51 PM.

ok, that was horrible. so sad. he must hav died. quite morbid....

Comment

Originally posted by teknotexan
      ok, that was horrible. so sad. he must hav died. quite morbid....
      Read the post, dude, the guy lived.

That's amazing... he'd better have won the settlement. Even after they pulled him out of the car they just left him lying there.

Comment

WOW! I thought for sure he would be be toast. Looks like the fireproof suit held up well, wish I could say the same for the helmet. Glad he lived though
        hello 4g63 nice to meet you

Comment

Poor guy, he was trying to get that melted helmet off his face.

More info:

A racing car driver whose career ended with a sickening crash five years ago Wednesday was awarded 90 million yen compensation after the Tokyo District Court ruled race organizers were to blame for his crippling accident.

Tetsuya Ota fell well short of getting the 300 million he had been asking from the five organizers and the marshal of the 1998 race where he suffered severe burns that ruined his driving career, but received the vindication he had been looking for.

"The crash was caused when the flag car suddenly slowed down," Presiding Judge Tsuyoshi Ono said. "Firefighting and rescue preparations were also not up to scratch."

Ota was delighted with the court win. "I would like to thank everybody who has supported me along the way," the 43-year-old once referred to as Japan's best Ferrari handler said in the wake of the ruling.

Those ordered to pay Ota include Fuji Speedway in Shizuoka Prefecture, where the horrifying crash occurred, and TV Tokyo, which broadcast the race.

None of the defendants have stated whether they will appeal against the ruling, including TV Tokyo, which spent the entirety of the court battle arguing that it could not be regarded as one of the race organizers.

Court records said Ota's terrifying crash occurred during a warm-up lap before the official start of the race in May 1998. Ota's car burst into flames after slamming into another vehicle that had already stopped because of a different accident.

Ota was stuck in the fireball for almost 90 seconds before rescuers finally dragged him out. He sustained burns across his body and is still unable to move his right arm, right shoulder and fingers properly.

Judges ruled the flag car should have been traveling at about 60 kilometers per hour instead of the 150 kilometers it was doing, and caused the accident by slowing too quickly. Ota was forced to unexpectedly drop his pace and, as a result, he lost control and smash into the stationary vehicle.

They also decided that Ota was left in his flaming vehicle for too long and organizers had neglected their responsibility to get him out of the burning car within 30 seconds of the blaze erupting.

A pre-race agreement between Ota and the organizers not to pursue legal action in the event of an accident was also dismissed as unacceptable.

"A letter that tries to eliminate one party from taking any responsibility for major accidents caused by gross negligence is incorrect, unfair and not void in this court," presiding judge Ono said.

TV Tokyo's attempt to avoid being regarded as one of the race organizers was dismissed by the court, which ruled it was involved in sufficient decisions made about the race to be viewed as one of the organizations directly concerned with running it.

Ota made his debut in 1982, racing in the Formula 3000 series before switching to GT car races in which he competed in four straight Le Mans 24-hour races. (Mainichi Shimbun, Japan, Oct. 29, 2003)
          Attached Files

Comment

Here's another vid showing how a fellow racer extinguished the flames and started getting him out of the car before the marshalls arrived.

Comment

That's a pretty crazy fire extinguisher.

Comment

lame excuse for a safety crew, he should've been immobalized, on a backboard, with a neck brace. picking him up and putting him in the ambulance like that was the absolute wrong thing to do, they're lucky they didn't paralyze him.

Comment

Speechless....I can't imagine what that must have been like. It really is amazing he survived, and isnt completely paralyzed

Mods:
                  JDM Headlights + Corners
                  JDM Tailights
                  1st Gen LX Black Wheels
                  Shaved Side Mouldings
                  Second hand 'High-Flow' Muffler
                  Cone Filter
                  KYB GR-2's + Perf Lowering Springs
                  E-Bay front strut bar
                  Gauge cluster swap w/ Tach + Indiglo gauges
                  40% Tint on side windows, 20% on rear
                  and the best custom 3rd brake light overlay...'ZOOM'

Comment

The safety crew was completely dumb. The other driver did a better job of helping him. I can't believe that one guy who helped him for a second, then let him go and waved for help. There's no excuse to just drop him like that.

And a safety crew arriving in a FD RX-7? That's insane.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
                    On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
                    My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

what i cant take it though why their fellow drivers that passed him didnt even attempt to stop were they thinking. wtf dude if i see someone on the side of the road that needed hlep i wouldnt hesitate to sotp, thats just ****ed up why he cant find any good samaritan

Comment

Originally posted by soccom2005
                        what i cant take it though why their fellow drivers that passed him didnt even attempt to stop were they thinking. wtf dude if i see someone on the side of the road that needed hlep i wouldnt hesitate to sotp, thats just ****ed up why he cant find any good samaritan
                        it's a racetrack, as a driver, the best thing you can do is stay out of the way, they probably assumed that the safety crew would be there in a few seconds anyway.

Comment

As another driver, stopping to help would put thier car in the way of the safety crew, and could have also caught fire if fuel or oil was leaking from one car and made it to the other.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
                          On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
                          My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

yeah i have seen that before, any pics of his after the racer, like later in life, to see how he looks now??
                            .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
                            225.94wtq
                            torque monster!!!!
                            dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
                            http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
                            http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

I wonder if the guy waving the yellow flag was ok. He just disappeared in a ball of flames.
                              Back in BG business.

Comment

Working...
                              X