Beer Can Chicken!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beer Can Chicken!!

I just feel like sharing this ultra-simple, awesome chicken recipie. The wife and I can't stop making it - we have it at least once a week lately. Prep time is about 10 minutes, and cook time is a little over an hour - but you don't have to do anything while it cooks, so it's easy. And it's healthy, too.

Ingredients:

1 whole chicken - 5 lb bird is plenty.
    Less than a shot of olive oil
    1 - 12oz can of beer (no need for fancy **** here - get the cheap stuff)
    About 1-2 tablespoons each of salt, pepper, paprika, and brown sugar.
    Mesquite wood chips (optional)

If using the mesquite chips, take a small bowlful and soak them in half the can of beer, plus a little water if necessary to cover them. If not, drink half the beer (ONLY half!!). Put the half-full can aside for now.

Clean out the bird, and get rid of the giblets (or save them for soup if that's your thing). Rinse the whole bird inside and out with cold water and pat dry.

Lightly rub bird with olive oil.

Mix the paprika, salt, pepper, and brown sugar, breaking up any lumps in the sugar. Sprinkle the mixture over the bird, and rub into the skin, making sure to get it everywhere (under the wings, etc). Take any left over and sprinkle inside the bird.

Barbecue is best for this recipie! But an oven on about 350-375 will do fine.

Optional: Take the soaked mesquite chips, drain, and make 1 or 2 tinfoil pouches with them - poke a few holes.

Use a foil (or metal) baking pan under your barbacue grate for a drip pan, or setup your oven's broiler pan to catch the drippings.

Now here's the fun part:

Take the can of beer, and set it on the barbecue grate - try to keep it from being directly over a burner. If you have a three-burner BBQ, only light the right and left ones, keep the center off, and put the beer can there.

Now sit the bird on the can, in essence shoving the can of beer up the chicken's ass. . The bird will sit upright on the can of beer - and the evaporating beer will baste that chicken from the inside. Tuck the wings up under themselves so they don't burn too badly (think: chicken dance)

Optional: Sit the mesquite pouches next to the chicken, or wherever they'll get heat and create smoke.

CLOSE the cover and let cook about 75 minutes, or until a meat thermometer stuck between the leg and body measures 185 degrees. If the top of the bird starts to get a little burnt, give it a tin foil cap.

I swear, this WILL be the best chicken you've ever eaten. Juicy like a watermelon, with a skin that gets so crisp and thin (I don't even like to eat chicken skin, but I DO eat it on this recipie!)

Try it out - lemme know what you think.

I've got one smokin' right now!

~HH

Re: Beer Can Chicken!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Originally posted by hihoslva
    <snip>
    Now sit the bird on the can, in essence shoving the can of beer up the chicken's ass. .

<snip>
    TheMAN
    '01 BJFP MT
    '05 BK3P HB AT

Come see the Protege FAQ

No, I don't own an MP5.
    No, I don't drive a Protege 5.

Originally posted by R240NAII:
    It's always, "hi, I'm 16, a flaming pissant, and have my parents hard-earned money that I'd like to blow, hold my hand and walk me through a course on driftnng/boosting/driving, but remember that I'm not intelligent enough to understand anything and will repeatedly ask the same basic, moronic questions, over and over again".

What happens when you send me PMs such as:
    -Sending me a stupid question (no common sense, no logic, impractical, etc)
    -Sending me a question that can be found searching or in the FAQ
    -Sending me an illegible question (ie: bad grammar)
    No you WON'T get flamed, you'll get ignored. The results will vary if you send flames/insults

Comment

Working...
    X