Why aren't French cars sold in the USA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the introduction of supercompact cars becoming the newest, most in demand thing here in the Bay Area (i.e. Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit, Smart Car), I am beinging to wonder about those French ones. Just look at these beauties!

Peugeot performs well in the WRC.
    The Clio V6 is a mid engine, 256bhp, RWD, 6 speed, handbuilt hatch!!
    Renault is the best selling compact car in Europe, according to one website.
    And I've only seen old ones putting around the states, which sparks my curiosity.
    What happened? Why can't we buy these cars?

They tried to sell French cars here years ago and no one wanted them. Of course that was when they had great cars like the LeCar. It might be different if they tried now.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
    On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
    My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

OMG, the Clio v6 is one of my favorite car designs. I'm in love with those huge scoops infront of the back wheels. Also, the new Citroens (sp?) are pretty gnarly too.

Comment

Renault Clio V6= Sex!

I would love to see the following cars make it here, but they won't.

Renault Clio V6
        Citroen Xsara ^^^ Shown above
        Peugot 306(hatch) and 406(sports coupe)
        All Current MG's
        Ford Focus ST

For now I'll have to dream about hearing that V6 roar behind my head in the Clio.

Looking for an Interplay Bumper!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by teknotexan
          .....Just look at these beauties!.......
          Why can't we buy these cars?

what beauties...

i don't think the problem is 'we' can't. I think it's 'we' don't want to.
          ClubProtege

Comment

Originally posted by Dixie94Pro
            what beauties...

i don't think the problem is 'we' can't. I think it's 'we' don't want to.
            Contrare, monfrare (sp? and I'm not French) I think plenty of Americans would love to have these cars! While all car makers have entry level performance options, it is still a relatively popular in many parts of the country. In Texas, small cars are rare. In the Bay Area, they're everywhere! And with these new petrol prices, more and more people are looking for economic cars. Adn you haveto be a fan of small cars to find these beautiful. Believe me, when I saw the 307 in Brasil, It was PURE SEX!! Think about it: the power to weight ratio in performance hatches are far superior to any sedan or coupe. That Clio V6 doesn't have a back seat, will never be made again (they stopped production as of 2006), and will be forever a cult car! Ever watch the WRC?? They're predominantly hatches ripping up the tarmac. The Ford Focus just wipes out the competition! OK, ok: they have better drivers, but their machine is awesome too! Too bad we can't buy that awd Focus here either. Aww, not to fret! Gasoline will be triple in 6 years what it is today, our city populations will exponentially grow at alarming rates causing over crowding, smart cars are now being imported, and small cars will reign supreme as the land boats of yester year rust in the junkyards. Bro, it cost me $19.00 to fill up my 323 in May 2004 with 93 octane, but yesterday it was $38.85 of 87 octane!! Do the math! That 2x as much for lesser octane in 2 years!

Comment

because they are unreliable, poorly built pieces of trash.

but ill bet reverse always works
              Serenity's Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by KiddX
                because they are unreliable, poorly built pieces of trash.
                correct, thus not selling...the reason all you can find in the states now are Peugot bicycles...

Comment

Here is another one.
                  Renault Megane RS
                  225 Hp 2.000cc Turbo

Comment

Peugeot is in my sex list!!!
                    My Toys =D

Comment

Originally posted by esmacmil
                      correct, thus not selling...the reason all you can find in the states now are Peugot bicycles...
                      LOL, I've got a Peugot 10 speed race bike(or atleast it's supposed to be) in the basement. It's gotta be from the '70s though.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
                      On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
                      My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

I give up! What's the punchline?

Oh, I thought this was a joke thread... oops!

Comment

No, really, I am serious.
                          I know that the French cars form yester year were worse than American cars in reliability, but times have certainly changed. French cars are #1 in Europe, #2 in South America after Japanese of course. There must be some economic factors or sanctions against all things French. Now, are they sold in Canada? I'd presume so.

Comment

i want the clio v6
                            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
                            X