Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ftp server problems

Ok here is what I am trying to do ...

Windows XP professional comes with a FTP program which allows you to connect and host your files on your pc. I got everything set up .. the program IIS is installed and I have the port set at 21 .. I have tried to set up my router to allow the ftp traffic to move through the router.

I can access my ftp://ipaddy from my laptop which is wirelessly connected to the router, but noone outside of my router can access my files. Can someone please tell me what the heck I have done wrong. I have the ftp set to annonymous log on so entry is direct. But still noone can see anything .
    Everybody gets ftp folder error message..

Any of you ftp buzzards think you could tell me what the heck I am doing wrong..

The router I am using is a D-link 624
    thanks
    Bruce
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

The problem is most likely with your router, not the server software. First off, d-link routers suck (I have one myself and I hate it) so no guarantees.

There are two things to try:
    1) Go into "Virtual Server" (or whatever it's called specifically on that router) in the setup page. Make sure the service port is set to the same as the port set in the software. FTP is blocked by default, so you have to manually allow it. Then make sure that the port is enabled, for anytime. Also make sure the Service IP is set to the internal IP for your server computer.

2) Set the DMZ IP to the IP for your computer. I wouldn't recommend this as a permanent solution, but it's good to test and make sure things work. This puts your computer completely outside the firewall, and doesn't protect it at all.

Sorry if you know this stuff already, I have no idea how much you know about networks. Hopefully one of these will work, but as I said, no guarantees. My router dies on a regular basis for no apparent reason.

Comment

thanks jnorion... I will try these , when I get home tonight.

I don't really want to expose this main pc to the net .. It is the heart of my system . I would however just like to be able to tranfer files between me and a few friends ...

ok I will try this out ..

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Damn, I just checked the other thread. what a uprawl ..

anyway..
        when I was giving out my ip to my friend I did not include the port as shown in the above post. I sent it out as ftp://bruceip , I guess I should have tried ftp://bruceip:21 to specify the port. dang .. lol .. I will try that, if it doesn't work then I will try a different port.
        My isp is optonline.

Thanks for the help guys.
        I like simple answers ..
        Bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

why do you even need to specify port 21? if your TCP/IP stack is ****ed up, it wouldn't work obviously, and so would your other **** not working

port 21 is the REGISTERED FTP port... by NOT specifying the port number, its defaulted to it
          TheMAN
          '01 BJFP MT
          '05 BK3P HB AT

Come see the Protege FAQ

No, I don't own an MP5.
          No, I don't drive a Protege 5.

Originally posted by R240NAII:
          It's always, "hi, I'm 16, a flaming pissant, and have my parents hard-earned money that I'd like to blow, hold my hand and walk me through a course on driftnng/boosting/driving, but remember that I'm not intelligent enough to understand anything and will repeatedly ask the same basic, moronic questions, over and over again".

What happens when you send me PMs such as:
          -Sending me a stupid question (no common sense, no logic, impractical, etc)
          -Sending me a question that can be found searching or in the FAQ
          -Sending me an illegible question (ie: bad grammar)
          No you WON'T get flamed, you'll get ignored. The results will vary if you send flames/insults

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
            why do you even need to specify port 21? if your TCP/IP stack is ****ed up, it wouldn't work obviously, and so would your other **** not working

port 21 is the REGISTERED FTP port... by NOT specifying the port number, its defaulted to it
            ok TheMan you always have a comment, now give me a damn answer ..

how do I rectify my problem of people not being able to connect to my ftp server.
            my sytem
            D-link d-624 router
            win xp pro
            IIS 5.1
            firewall turned off
            annonymous log on turned on

I can get into the ftp when from my laptop which is on the same network , but people outside of my router can't see my ftp ...

so tell me what do I adjust or fix , or change ..
            Bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

the basic problem is, you're behind a router and is using NAT to route your internal network

in order for it to work, you either have to:
              -use a real IP address
              -configure the router to do NAT port forwarding
              -set your server host as DMZ

getting it to work is something that's not easy and is hard for us to show you

go buy a n00bie networking book and read and understand how **** is supposed to work and you will figure it out
              TheMAN
              '01 BJFP MT
              '05 BK3P HB AT

Come see the Protege FAQ

No, I don't own an MP5.
              No, I don't drive a Protege 5.

Originally posted by R240NAII:
              It's always, "hi, I'm 16, a flaming pissant, and have my parents hard-earned money that I'd like to blow, hold my hand and walk me through a course on driftnng/boosting/driving, but remember that I'm not intelligent enough to understand anything and will repeatedly ask the same basic, moronic questions, over and over again".

What happens when you send me PMs such as:
              -Sending me a stupid question (no common sense, no logic, impractical, etc)
              -Sending me a question that can be found searching or in the FAQ
              -Sending me an illegible question (ie: bad grammar)
              No you WON'T get flamed, you'll get ignored. The results will vary if you send flames/insults

Comment

If you're trying to connect from a computer outside your network, you have to specify the external IP address. The router assigns an internal ip to each computer, which is something like 192.168.0.*. The computers inside the network can recognize these addresses and use them, but anything outside has to use the ip that the router displays to the internet. This depends on your isp. If you have cable or dsl, there's a good chance you won't be able to find it because the isp assigns you a new one every time you connect. Some routers (I think yours will) display it under the status screen in the router setup, in the WAN section.

If you can find this, you need to setup the virtual server thing to route any requests for port 21 (or whichever one you decide to use) to your computer, and then when you're trying to access it from outside specify the external ip, not the internal one. Then the outside computer talks to the router, which talks to your computer and then sends the information back out to the other one.

Also, if you have a dynamic ip address, check every so often to make sure it hasn't changed. If it stops working later on, that's the first thing to try... chances are the old ip has been changed on you and won't work anymore.

Comment

Ok guys thanks alot ...
                  I was speaking to a networking guy at one of my jobs that was showing me how to connect and do everything. He did tell me that I would have to configure my router to do port forwarding, but with this router I just have to figure out how to do so...

Ok I will try the above suggestions and see what I can get going. If this works then maybe we can all have a way to exchange documents, files and even movies.
                  I have tons of dvd quality movies and racing mpgs.

Well we will see what happens.
                  Bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

I have a dlink router and my own ftp.
                    Portfowarding is definetly the key. Im running the 614+ so maybe I can walk you through it.

Go into your web browser IE works good.
                    type http://192.168.0.1 that is the default adress for your router.
                    log in with username admin and no password or whatever your using.
                    Under the virtual server tab the first one go into advanced and click the edit button next to the delete one. Then just fill everything in, and select enabled.
                    Thats it now run your ftp program and it should work nicley.

I was een able to set up my xbox to work as an ftp.

Comment

Working...
                    X