snow drifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

snow drifting

I've been playing with snow drifting recently.
    I'm pretty that's what it's called... i just used to call it "pulling the hand brake and spinning" when i did it in my mom's van... but now i do it in my car, so it's a little easier.
    I can't seem to get a full 360, though.. i get up to about 40kph, turn the wheel about 5% then pull the hand brake, then touch the brake then turn to the max... but my car will never make the full 360.. i get to about 280-300, but never a FULL turn.

any advice on my technique?

note: i drive an AT.. so i can't really downshift/upshift to help the turning.

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
    RB springs
    Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
    MP3 front bumper conversion

FWD cars can also do great donuts in reverse...
    ~Mark.
    2002 Protege DX 5 speed, "Kenmore White," well-loved and a little over half paid-for

Comment

I was doing snow drifting in my 323, during all that snow...
      Only thing I didn't use the ebrake sometimes.
      I would understeer then correct and let the back get out and use the gas to take me around the corner... It worked everytime hehehe...

When I pulled the ebrake, that was fun also ...
      The 323 looses it really well... lol
      photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

yes its fun ripping up the E and sliding completly around a 180 turn or sliding into the driveway at night
        No more protege, Mx-3 now...Only known BP powered Mx-3 in Nova Scotia

Comment

since the 3 is the first awd car i've ever owned.. 'snow drifting' was always just kind of fun in the protege. i took the 3 out two nights ago for some parking lot ice fun... you always think it looks fun watching awd cars doing perfect circles. ;D it gets you pretty dizzy though. i wanted to get video of it. but alas, the camera wasnt charged.
          -mike lucero
          1988 Mazda 323 GTX
          2001 Isuzu Rodeo

Comment

360s

Originally posted by Lil Freek
            any advice on my technique?
            I've been doing those all winter. All you need to do is get up to 35 mph or so put the car in neutral (so it doesn't stall when it rolls backwards), then yank the handbrake and turn the wheel about 1/2 a turn. Once the car rotates about 1/4 of a turn you need to turn the wheel as fast and as far the other way as you can. Once the car gets to 3/4 of the turn you should straighten the wheel out, or turn in the other way if you want to try for another rotation. Remember to put your car back into drive at the end.

My driving instructor said 'practice makes perfect'.
            Personal 1/4 mile: 57 sec @ 14 mph
            Haven't tried with the pro yet...

Comment

Working...
            X