happy thanksgiving: good ol' home cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

happy thanksgiving: good ol' home cooking

growing up with lots of food culture I have always tried to come up with something new and tasty to make for the holidays.

this year its a smoke Beef brisket. I setup shop tonight around 10 and had the smoker ready for the meat by midnight.

I will be smoking this side of beef till 12 noon, and during that time i will monitor the smoker and keep it at a consistent 120 degrees all the way up till the last hour. i also have a basting sauce whipped up that i apply once an hour.

instead of charcoal I use hardwood soaked in water overnight to promote slow burning, low and slow is the way to go with beef.

Last edited by MD323; 11-25-2010, 03:01 AM.
    "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
    -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
    *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
    172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
    New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

yumm!

Flyrtle 6.0 Dynojet @ 15psi on BP26 ECU 229.31 whp / 229.95 ft-lb
    HPLogic Mustang Dyno @ 15psi on MS1 v3 226 whp / 195 ft-lb [HD Video]
    Soon to be powered by a Precision snail on crack...

Add me on more pictures of my projects can be found there.

Comment

sounds delicious. love me some smoked meats. just wrap that thing in bacon and it would be perfect

NW MAZDAS

Comment

6 hours in and she is starting to look nice and brown, and its soft and almost melting
        -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.

Comment

Be there in a few hrs. Save me a slice
          1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
          1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
          2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
          2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
          .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

That looks da bomb. Happy thanksgiving
            Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
            "Who Dey"

Comment

that looks like some good eats right there.

Comment

So how did it taste?

Happy Thanksgiving!
                02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Dude that looks GOOOOOD. you have an art to your science of cooking. I got 8lb capacity electric smoker, and 2 solid bbq's. Judging from the picture... Nice setup... NICE smoke!
                  When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                  Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                  Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                  So his engine he goosed
                  With much too much boost,
                  And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Originally posted by Protoss View Post
                    Dude that looks GOOOOOD. you have an art to your science of cooking. I got 8lb capacity electric smoker, and 2 solid bbq's. Judging from the picture... Nice setup... NICE smoke!
                    thanks brock, long time no see

it turned out really good, I sectioned up the brisket and took some to eat of the dinners i went to and it was an instant hit.

i found the trick to long slow smoking is bigger chunks of wood and keep the meat off the rack to prevent t from transferring heat to the meat. i dont have any pics of the finished product since it was off the grill at 2pm and i was out the door so you will just need to take my work for it
                    -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Working...
                    X