• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by protegewill
    Apex , its a 1.6inch drop all around.
    thats what i have!

Comment

[QUOTE=protegewill] an unorthodox racing underdrivepully to be put on soon.
      QUOTE]
      just one stupid question....I understand that an underdrive pulley makes whatever accessory it's in spin faster. I have a friend with a T-bird Super Coupe with an underdrive pulley on his supercharger to spin it faster, providing more boost. where else would this be beneficial?
      Please sponsor me for the American diabetes association Tour de Cure.
      http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...383&px=3361088
      together, we can find a cure for Diabetes!!!!

Comment

In thwe case of our cars i think it makes your alternator and power steering spin a little bit slower because it is a different size gear then the stock one thus making for less resistance for your motor. also it is very light compaired to stock so again its easier for your engin to spin it.
        from corksport.com : "CNC-machined from lightweight 6061-T6 aluminum billet. Average of 8-15hp/6-10lbs-tq on NA engines, higher gains on modifed engines. Two ways of gain. There is an average of 2.7 HP gained from every pound lost off the crank shaft. With the lighter accessory pulleys, as much as 15% to 30% more power can be found. 85% of gains are from weight loss. Rest of the gains are from underdriving, which accounts for about 15% of the total gains. A small amount of underdrive is used to keep the charging systems, air conditioning, power steering, and water pumps moving fast enough for every day driving. "

Comment

pigeon: the picture in your signature is what made me decide that it was worth it for lowering springs, your car looks so slammed, its sweet.

Comment

guys, read the FAQ regarding underdrive pullies...
            they also underdrive your oil pump which is a no no

pigeon: the picture in your signature is what made me decide that it was worth it for lowering springs, your car looks so slammed, its sweet.
            thanks... also just note thought that the black wheels make it look lower than it actually is
            Attached Files

Comment

In thwe case of our cars i think it makes your alternator and power steering spin a little bit slower because it is a different size gear then the stock one thus making for less resistance for your motor. also it is very light compaired to stock so again its easier for your engin to spin it.
              from corksport.com : "CNC-machined from lightweight 6061-T6 aluminum billet. Average of 8-15hp/6-10lbs-tq on NA engines, higher gains on modifed engines. Two ways of gain. There is an average of 2.7 HP gained from every pound lost off the crank shaft. With the lighter accessory pulleys, as much as 15% to 30% more power can be found. 85% of gains are from weight loss. Rest of the gains are from underdriving, which accounts for about 15% of the total gains. A small amount of underdrive is used to keep the charging systems, air conditioning, power steering, and water pumps moving fast enough for every day driving. "
              thanks for the info...makes sense.
              Please sponsor me for the American diabetes association Tour de Cure.
              http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...383&px=3361088
              together, we can find a cure for Diabetes!!!!

Comment

a little more info, this is the article pigeon was refering to:

"Are there any underdrive pullies available?
                Unorthodox Racing makes underdrive pullies however it is not recommended to
                use any underdrive crank pullies from any company at all because it can cause
                oil pump failures. All Protege engines are directly crank driven and if an under-
                drive crank pulley is used, it can cause accelerated wear in it which will event-
                ually lead to failure! Typical underdrive crank pullies do not have a harmonic
                balancer and therefore all the oscillating forces from the crankshaft are
                transmitted elsewhere. Even on the typically well balanced stock crankshafts,
                there is always a very slight imbalance in them and as such the forces caused by
                them results in the oscillations. Many turbo Miata engines have blown up from
                oil pump failures due to the installation of underdrive crank pullies. Be warned!"

Right now I have no plans for a turbo, so it should be allrigtht in my case. I could always take it off again if i did get a turbo.

Comment

I still wouldn't use the underdrive pulley even if you aren't going turboed.. just to be on the safe side.Then again, it's your choice and it's your money.

92 Protege DX - Sold.
                  91 Dodge Dakota - Sold.
                  95 Ford Contour GL - Crashed.
                  96 Dodge Caravan - Sold.
                  90 Honda Accord LX - Sold.
                  98 Mazda 626 LX - DD.

Comment

looks kick ass man, i like the rims.
                    .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
                    225.94wtq
                    torque monster!!!!
                    dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
                    http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
                    http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Originally posted by pigeon
                      thanks... also just note thought that the black wheels make it look lower than it actually is
                      you have rims?

All this time I have only seem your car with teh steelies.
                      The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

no no, those are my old rims... lol
                        from many years yonder

right now i have my 2 sets of steelies... the current ones
                        and the one with azenis on em... lol

ya thats right, performance steelies... some good ol taxi cab action

Originally posted by D323
                        you have rims?

All this time I have only seem your car with teh steelies.

Comment

Looks nice, not crazy about the chrome treatment on the bottom grill, but the wheels fit the round contours of the car nicely...

I gotta buy some damn tires.
                          photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Working...
                          X