The Death Of The Vj20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Death Of The Vj20

OK GUYS, heres the story & a few pics to go with it.
    got the turbo from carlinmax, (GTX motor raffle winner) big mistake there.
    anyhow, started dissasembling the turbo for a rebuild & the nut with the turbo shaft both shear right off, next day I call up corksport & get another turbo shaft.
    I box up the whole mess of remaining parts. Then ship the turbo off to be professionally rebuilt at Turbocity in california. aproximately 1 week later after it finally made it to turbocity, i get a call the first business day from them, "we are sorry sir but your turbo is unrebuildable" there is a groove where the finaly clip that holds the bearings/oil from getting out into the hot side goes. that groove is compeltely ****ed, so the core of the VJ20 is junk ruined & hopeless.
    there for i am still turboless & looking for a replacement of some sort. i've got alot of options right now & its quite difficult to decide the proper route for me to take from here on out.
    a pic of the turbo when I first got it then the pics of what turbo city sent me back.

but anyhow this is the dimise.
    enjoy the cleanlyness of the pics.
    Attached Files
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

I don't know who gets it worse. You or Redfox. Sorry to hear about the troubles.
    Too bad I have AWD and you don't!

Comment

So what are you going to do with all the good bits and pieces of the VJ20?

Comment

Can't you just get/find a replacement for that center piece?!
        **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
        95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

Buy a hybrid. You wont need the center section, but you will need that nice and clean exhaust side.
          BP-05 Turbo-Sold
          2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

i'll more than likly sell off the rest of the good parts.... trubo shaft & wheel, Rebuild kit, compressor housing, Im going to be greedy & keep the exhaust housing more than likely to do a hybrid.
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Originally posted by elscotto80
              Buy a hybrid. You wont need the center section, but you will need that nice and clean exhaust side.
              hybrid that hoe with a vj-14 or something. That or do the VF-10/08 upgrade....

clean parts though....
              The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

i love how clean they are... i **** a brick when i saw them.... a before/after shot would have been nice, but holy cleanliness.

Comment

good thing I raffled that motor off....otherwise I would have been in your position.
                  Eat ****.

Comment

most shops clean their parts before they work on turboes or heads etc.

Comment

Have you contacted Dave? I cant speak for him. But he might have a turbo left over
                      1990 Protege 4wd: BP05 forged internals, Mild ported head, GTR intake manifold, Gates racing timing belt, GTX transmission, Stage 3 clutch, 60trim T-3 turbo, Custom down pipe,3" Stainles exhaust, , Walbro fuel pump, RB-Performance fmic kit, HKS bov, Aurfa coilovers, F&R drilled slotted rotors, 16" BBS wrapped with Advan Novea tires, EDM glass headlights with HID's, Familia front and rear bumpers.

Boosted 1990 4WD
                      http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32462

sigpic

Comment

all thos clean parts are from the turbo in the first pic??? how the **** did they clean them so well???
                        91 323 GTX @ 16psi, 5 speed || December 07 R.O.T.M.