Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That Gold Protege on craigslist and ebay lives on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That Gold Protege on craigslist and ebay lives on.

Well.. I kept hush about this for the past few weeks, (sometimes not by choice due to lack of access to a computer and being without a car for nearly 3 weeks).

I finally finished school, and decided to actually complete a project car (since the past 12 cars I've owned I've always sold before i finished). All i can say was the past 3-4 weeks were hell, and this probably won't happen again.

It started with driving over 6 hours in the rain the acquire the gold car we got (that had a GTX motor) to doing a motor swap in the pouring rain, then moved onto electrical issues, and then finally a transmission taking a crap 2 days after the swap was complete.. I lot tension between several minds, which almost led to severance of friendships. I'm glad that part's over and done with. Ask Steve, ask Danny, this isnt a dramatized description of what happened.

I just HAD to do a GTX/LX swap into a protege DX of all cars. That may not be that hard, but proves difficult when you dont have a garage and you're in the pouring rain.. I'm sure Steve can vouch for that one..

Anyways.. first and foremost, I would like to thank Steve (TurboProto), who did the majority of the swap. and Ryan (bpt323) who, solved the majority of my wiring issues. for the endless amount of bull**** I put both of them through. People who know me well enough know that I'm extremely neurotic and VERY hard to put up with.

I would also like to thank Chris (Turpro) Spen, Danny (oldskoolricer), elscotto80, alienation, as they all probably caught a bit of my wrath of non-stop bitching and assisted me in the install in person or through the net.

Also my good friends who lent a helping hand and tools/parts/facilities. (speedalliance.com for one.. haha)

So I would like to thank all who have helped me, and apologize to all whom I've manage to piss off

Well, the car's on the road running decent, I'd say I'm about 60% done with it.. but now its just more time and money to keep the progress.

But with all that said, I want to give credit where its due. The car was practically built by clubprotege in one way or another, because I sure as hell didn't know what the hell I was doing.

The next post are pics taken of everything we managed to catch in between all the b.s, and after all the B.S.
    Last edited by Grant8311; 03-19-2008, 03:32 AM.

Comment

Need Pics

[EDIT] opps too late for that comment
      Daily Driver--'07 Traitor Corolla--Traded for a '11 Chevy Cruze--Traded for a '12 Dodge Charger
      Project Car - looking for a clean AWD Protege, or maybe a monster Miata donor

Comment

nice work, what color are you going to go with?
        Daily Driver--'07 Traitor Corolla--Traded for a '11 Chevy Cruze--Traded for a '12 Dodge Charger
        Project Car - looking for a clean AWD Protege, or maybe a monster Miata donor

Comment

Images aren't exactly in chronological order.

Specs on the car are here as follows (car is mostly stock)

Engine/Drivetrain:
          BP26 GTX Motor
          LX Transmission
          UR Crank pulley
          Gates Racing Timing belt
          Modified LX engine wire harness
          Hayden 14" electric fan
          HKS 3" filter
          Modified Evo-8 Intercooler piping with an aftermarket intercooler for DSM's
          HKS SSQV (Gen 2) BOV (recirculated)
          Clutch done by Action Clutch in Los Angeles, CA. (Miata exedy pressure plate with diaphragms modified to 2400ft/lb clamping force. 225mm 6 puck Miva Ceramic disc. Action claims up to 400 whp. )
          Oribital battery
          3" exhaust with A-spec dual tip muffler

Suspension/Brakes:
          Still on Steve's suspension
          GTX FSTB
          Cusco RSTB
          Cross drilled rotors all around (yes, car has 4 wheel disc now)
          LX rear sway bar

Interior/Electronics:
          GTX seats
          A-spec shift knob
          BP26 GTX ecu
          Blitz SBC i-color boost controller with optional oil pressure and water temperature monitoring (set at 13psi)
          Defi EGT and boost meter

Exterior/wheels:
          2 hole front bumper
          Fog lights
          LX power mirrors
          16x7 Stamford 7 spoke wheels (for sale actually)
          some rain guards, and other typical bits and pieces..
          Last edited by Grant8311; 03-20-2008, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Well, when i get around to having the car repainted.. most likely the original white. or Taffeta white (honda). (I actually am one of the few that don't like championship white).

Comment

eww gold

Comment

I want a set of fender covers
                Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
                kitty, you are a hilarious woman
                Originally posted by HopelessCow
                there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
                Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

My dad has a bunch of those same covers and others.

Looks nice...I feel as if I've read the story some months ago though...like deja vu. Maybe it's just me...

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
                  On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
                  My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

WOW.....Always nice to see another boosted pro on the road. And im glad the little knowledge i do have helped a bit..lol....

I say you call up corksport ASAP and get some Wheel arches for that bad boy, besides that...treat her well and mostly have fun!..

Congrats homie..!

Comment

You anal bastard lol. Car is coming together well...and if you need to vent anymore you know my im addy
                      1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                      1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                      2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                      .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Looks great! One small detail is that the clutch doesn't hold 2400 ftlbs, it is simply a 2400 lb pressure plate. 2400 ft lbs of torque is insane

Comment

Oh no! I was hoping never to see that gold car again!!! That car was soo jinxed.

But I do have to say that we did a good job of fully converting your DX into a LX the proper way. You kinda went over board on buying so many new parts that could of been recycled, but in the long run you would of replaced those parts any ways. And your clutch is way better than the XTD 6 puch that I was running in the fwd car!, Im definately going to get one of those clutches for the track car. Once my car is running you, me and Danny need to go for a cruise and then you both can try and catch me!! LOL!

Mad props to you Grant for turning a regular DX into a Honduh killer!
                          1990 Protege 4wd: BP05 forged internals, Mild ported head, GTR intake manifold, Gates racing timing belt, GTX transmission, Stage 3 clutch, 60trim T-3 turbo, Custom down pipe,3" Stainles exhaust, , Walbro fuel pump, RB-Performance fmic kit, HKS bov, Aurfa coilovers, F&R drilled slotted rotors, 16" BBS wrapped with Advan Novea tires, EDM glass headlights with HID's, Familia front and rear bumpers.

Boosted 1990 4WD
                          http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32462

sigpic

Comment

Glad it finally came all together for ya Grant, and everything worked out. Your car looks as sweet as ever.
                            Create your own VB Gallery here.

Please DONATE to keep our forum alive!

I've decided that my car is a girl, she's picky as hell, won't listen to me, always wants to fight me, and when i give her presents it's never good enough and she always wants more.

<-"Will be the death of this forum"

Comment

Meh, no bother to me glad i could help out
                              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
                              X