My Winter Wonderland 2010-11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Winter Wonderland 2010-11

We've had quite a bit of snow so far this winter, for our part of the world. More importantly, due to extreme global cooling, this has been a particularly cold winter so that the fallen snow never melts. Typical temperatures here have consistently been in the 20s and teens F with occasional excursions into the low and mid 30s F. Thus, with every snow storm the piled up snow just gets deeper.

I shovel out our property with help from my son if he's around. He's very helpful but sometimes he has work or school that has to take precedence. I prefer shoveling because it's good exercise and helps keep me fit. Also, snow blowers cost money. I have to clear our driveway which is long and wide enough to hold the two Mazdas and my son's Ford Explorer. Clearing the driveway also clears a path to the rear door which is the one we primarily use. I also have to clear the front walk from the street to the landing in front of the front door to provide access for the mail person, etc. We have no sidewalks!

So far so good but this winter the lack of any appreciable melting has caused our snow banks surrounding the shoveled area to get taller with each succeeding storm, forcing us to have to heave the snow higher up the bank. When the snow plow comes along and pushes the snow in the street up into my driveway, I'm now forced to shovel the snow back into the street and then push it down the street alongside my property until I reach a point where the banks are low enough for me to throw the snow over. As the long-range forecast is for more snow and below normal temperatures before this winter is done, who knows how tall the snow banks will get?

It takes a real man to handle these conditions but fortunately I'm up to the task. In fact, I laugh in the face of adversity and I welcome each new challenge nature throws my way. We northern folk are a hardy lot, men and women alike, and we thrive on hardship and living life on the edge.

When I'm done I look forward to sitting in front of a roaring fire in my fireplace with a cup of cocoa followed by a Guinness Stout chaser along with a copy of Pulkrabek and one of my Mazda FSMs close at hand. It don't hardly get no better'n this, let me tell you.

It's a great life if you don't weaken.

Happy Snow Removal!
    Attached Files
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Thats a lot of snow there.
    Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
    "Who Dey"

Comment

that's not a lot of snow, last couple years I've had piles taller than i am.

Comment

Working...
      X